babycakes

When to let go

15 posts in this topic

I own a 2005 Smart Cabrio Diesel - its been a good little car but now needs new turbo and intercooler - having some issues letting go of this car but can't afford to fix - suggestions ?    The mechanic put a camera in the turbo and fins are flattened - car is leaking oil and no smoke so internal . 

It depends upon how handy you are IMHO and how much work you are willing to do to keep it running. I am finding many deisels in the wreckers now a days so parts are around. I know of two diesels both with turbos still attached. BUT, it's a crap shoot using used parts as anyone knows, but you may be lucky.  I am now looking for a third car to use as a definate parts car. Seeing as the second car was supposed to be a parts car but ran as good as my daily driver, so couldn't bring myself to tear it apart! There is nothing out there that gets this sort of fuel economy imho, so we must keep them running...

But as the first sentance says, it's all about the skills and patience of the owners to do so. You also must put a money figure on when enough is enough.   Personally I would say IF you love the car, then the time to get rid of her is when the body is rotten. The other parts are replaceable.....if you wish to keep dumping money into her.

I look at it this way......you will spend far more buying another vehicle and getting it the way you like it than it may cost to keep this machine which you love alive.  Plus again, nothing comes close to the fuel savings that these little deisels get.

you are right...but I am not handy and its very hard to find anyone willing to work on these cars...It's a tough decision and I keep going back and forth and get a little teary ( I can't believe it's happening either ) when I think of selling it AND the thought of it being a parts car ...well ,  that feels so wrong...the body is great...the roof , the floor has basically no rust...but a turbo is 1500 and intercooler another 500  - and who knows what else they may find...its really sad ...

A used turbo is a hundred bucks the same for a cooler.....if you take them off yourself. At a good wrecking yard.  But the cooler you could fix yourself with some time and patience....I have posted many times how I did mine, cost me maybe $25 in cleaners and JBWeld.....the hard part is getting it out. I would invest in some simple hand tools and start learning to use them.   No disrespect intended, it's just like doing a JigSaw puzzle when working on a vehicle when you first start learning, take a part off, place it on a large piece of cardboard, the next piece next to it and keep going as if writing a letter, clean each part  Repair whatever it is or replace whatever it is you must, then reverse the order when reinstalling them all back in place. It's basically that simple to start with. Sooner than later you'll be able to simply chuck everything into a bucket and know where they belong!   All vehicles are similar, just with a few differences. You can only change a vehicle in slight ways to still keep it similar enough to others to keep people buying them So repairing them isn't rocket science.  It is just learning it and doing it over and over to get good at it. Like riding a bicycle, no?  Don't be afraid of it. You are also near Smart142...he is a great guy with plenty of knowledge and is very very reasonable.

Well, I guess worst case scenario, a used turbo doesn't work ...not a lot invested there except engine needs to be dropped... Smart142?  

OK...well, you have given me a bit of hope...I will see what I can do...do you recommend any particular wrecker to try?

Where are you in Kitchener? Uncle Glenn may be able to help. look him up on this site. I'm in Waterloo every day I could swing by and take look

if you want.

I'm in the Ottawa/Laurentian area ...the car is at Foreign Auto and I have to decide what to do - drive it back home on Monday or let the mechanic there have it ...he needs a parts car - I'm just NOT ready to let it go  lol

If you don't mind looking, I'm open to any advice / suggestion

Well If you can, Uncle Glenn / Smart 142 may be able to help. Hate to see you give it away if you don't have to.

I'm looking for a another 2005 my self.

Edited by Wild!

Exhaust side turbine is high strength steel and very robust.  Not uncommon seeing deformed fins on compressor wheel which is made out of aluminium.  The cause is leaking inlet duct before turbo or owner running without air filter.

You get good Chinese turbos for about £90.  Intercooler about same.  Here is a Hella branded Behr intercooler that comes with inlet air sensor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8ML-376-723-461-HELLA-Intercooler-charger/401351487049?epid=1128309457&hash=item5d7269ae49:g:QhwAAOSwjRpZSmO-#shpCntId&shqty=1#shId

Regrettably whilst in the UK we enjoy free postage on this intercooler, to Canada you have to fork out £25.

Remember to modify intercooler support cradle if you replace yours.  These intercoolers fail because of the poorly disigned support cradle which cuts into and holes intercooler.  Smart changed support cradle design I think mid 2006 so very few Smarts have the new design fitted.

Don't give up your Smart just yet.  Mine is 3 years older than yours and is still going strong.  Has only clocked 248,000 km so far on original engine but blew its turbo in 2007.

I am so thankful I came to the forum for advice , I have decided not to sell it and fix it instead.    I love that little car but it's a tough decision when you're not a mechanic or hobby mechanic .  

In response to Mike T - I'm not sure about the fins, that's all I was told ...and that the shrapnel could be anywhere .

Take the time to learn the basics, it is easy really...and go see Glenn Smart142  He also has a trailer to help people in need if not too far away.  I could be wrong but I think so???

I have connected with Glenn - I will bring him the car...I can't give up on it yet...

Thanks for your advice, its changed my mind about selling. 

1 person likes this