Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

whats your thoughts

63 posts in this topic

This is not really an operation / maintenance topic. But I found this today. I was thinking about grabbing it for a parts car.   What would you think a fair offer would be. (it did run, but hasn't sicne last winter)

IMG_20180930_120627.jpg

IMG_20180930_120826_edit.jpg

Edited by Sydney

You'll pay $200 for the wheels alone at a wrecker, seats, computers, windshield, wipers, dash pots, air bags....well worth $500 imho, then you start into motor parts....the best part is that side scoop...I want one!

You have to think long term as you may not need anything right now, but down the road...?  PLus if the motor runs..?  OR are you interested in rebuilding one for when your's goes pop..?    These are what I see and think when looking for a parts car.....sure you may get a better deal, but start LOW and if you must come up to $500....Just my thought on it, also how many can you find in your neck of the woods anyway?

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Willys said:

You'll pay $200 for the wheels alone at a wrecker, seats, computers, windshield, wipers, dash pots, air bags....well worth $500 imho, then you start into motor parts....the best part is that side scoop...I want one!

You have to think long term as you may not need anything right now, but down the road...?  PLus if the motor runs..?  OR are you interested in rebuilding one for when your's goes pop..?    These are what I see and think when looking for a parts car.....sure you may get a better deal, but start LOW and if you must come up to $500....Just my thought on it, also how many can you find in your neck of the woods anyway?

That's what I was thinking. I might buy it, completely dismantle it, keep all the parts I might need and try to sell the rest. The interior is in very good condition (even has paddle shift) 

I would have to add the intake scoop to mine. Lol

1 person likes this

I am surprised that none of the air bags deployed.

I was told it was in a "light" rear end accident.  

It might even be an easy fix. But the headlights and nose cone are pricy.

There is no battery in it, so I can't get the mileage.

Airbags do not deploy in a rear ender.  Our first smart was written off after a really hard rear end hit (50 km/h) and the airbags were not needed and did not blow.

That is a good thing, you will have them to use after yours blow!...lol. they are an expensive wrecking yard item, i just bought a passenger bag for a buddy....you need to look at useable items and think of the rest as extras....imho. Think of what could go on your car and go from there. You will want to rebuild the alt, starter, all 3 computers, seats, air bags, wheels maybe tires?, possibly brake parts, cooler, glass, doords, rear window is a $350 plus hit, It was the first thing to go from the one i am pilfering and then asked how much...!, if you start adding up parts costs it'll be cheap at $1000....lol   You can always keep an ear out for others who need things you may not want and make back a fw bucks. Simply ask what they are worth at a wrecker and charge a few bucks less to get the sale.
I also think IF you strip the front down I bet it may be able to be pulled back to shape. OR a skilled fabricator could cut and weld in the bent bits?  Then you could have maybe a winter beater like I found myself with!  All I was after was the running engine.....and after driving it decided i couldn't break it up either!   So now i need another. For parts...lol

oooops, saw it is a rag top, so maybe those parts are worth something more than the glass rear window,,,,duh...lol

worth 1000 for parts..but im a cheapy so id offer 500 if thought it was worth 1000

maybe more if engine is found to be good ...

front looks really low...id bet the front springs are broken 

if it were something i was looking at id take it home and quickly assess it ...if i could get it running id probably keep going and fix it to get it back into service

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

smartzuum bought a (barely) running cabriolet with intact rear window in BC (driveability issues to sort) for $1000... so $500 for me would be the absolute peak - thinking that more like $350 would be fair to buyer and seller.  "Ran when parked" is an old one....

it was obviously running when it got hit

and they obviously didnt drive it after so id trust the running when parked"  on this one

i like that bumper sticker on the tailgate...

Edited by LooseLugNuts

OK, just thought of something....is this the very same model as your car now? As in convertable model as the body lines aren't the same as I learned between the different roofs.  If it is, I agree with Loosenuts, it obviously ran when smacked and I bet was towed on flat bed to where it is now. So a good chance it's the typical issues siezed alt and starter if won't run...?  OR you could risk it and settle on a price then ask if you can take spare battery to see if it'll start or at least show codes if anything major is an issue?  But as long as it's the same model I'd risk $500 on her for sure. I wouldn't say the coils would be busted from that hit.....as the body took the brunt not the suspension...?  I also wouldn't write it off just yet either.  I had my Toyota Echo at a month old crushed far worse than that by the looks of it and it pulled out with in 1/4" on the fender bracket, the rest wasn't touched. The good thing about crumple zones now a days. I don't know where or what they are on a smart, but...?
OR, you wait for another better shape car to appear near you?   One which hasn't been smucked, but that car will I bet have engine issues seeing as it was parked for a reason, unlike this one where as it wasn't a planned parking. I'd buy it.....lol

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Willys said:

OK, just thought of something....is this the very same model as your car now? As in convertable model as the body lines aren't the same as I learned between the different roofs.  If it is, I agree with Loosenuts, it obviously ran when smacked and I bet was towed on flat bed to where it is now. So a good chance it's the typical issues siezed alt and starter if won't run...?  OR you could risk it and settle on a price then ask if you can take spare battery to see if it'll start or at least show codes if anything major is an issue?  But as long as it's the same model I'd risk $500 on her for sure. I wouldn't say the coils would be busted from that hit.....as the body took the brunt not the suspension...?  I also wouldn't write it off just yet either.  I had my Toyota Echo at a month old crushed far worse than that by the looks of it and it pulled out with in 1/4" on the fender bracket, the rest wasn't touched. The good thing about crumple zones now a days. I don't know where or what they are on a smart, but...?
OR, you wait for another better shape car to appear near you?   One which hasn't been smucked, but that car will I bet have engine issues seeing as it was parked for a reason, unlike this one where as it wasn't a planned parking. I'd buy it.....lol

Mine is not a convertible,   but like you mentioned before, a lot of the parts and pieces would still be good for my smarty. Here is mine. (the day I picked her up)

IMG_20180907_113145_edit.jpg

Edited by Sydney

Hmmmm...?   Think about it for a second, I agree you are getting far more than if you paid $500 in parts value for it, BUT, nothing body wise will fit I don't think...? Glass might..? In the rear of a convertable is a hidden rear tail gate storage compartment, the only added feature IF you can convert it somehow into your main car...lol. But the main mechanics of it should I would say be the same from all models...? Smart 142 is the guy who would know for sure as he is the one who is working on them daily. Also Tolson.

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Hmmmm...?   Think about it for a second, I agree you are getting far more than if you paid $500 in parts value for it, BUT, nothing body wise will fit I don't think...? Glass might..? In the rear of a convertable is a hidden rear tail gate storage compartment, the only added feature IF you can convert it somehow into your main car...lol. But the main mechanics of it should I would say be the same from all models...? Smart 142 is the guy who would know for sure as he is the one who is working on them daily. Also Tolson.

ok thanks for the input,  mabey they will will give me some info also.

The doors are different, as are the side panels. Underneath is a bulkhead for strength. Drivetrain is the same.

Glenn are you saying the body or frame is different between the two versions because it's a convertable?  They strengthened the bottom to make up for the missing roof structure?  I expect that is what they have done, but don't know...?

So the rest is transferable, so it still makes it a worth while purchase if the price is right.  

Plus he can sell the convertable specific parts...are they more saught after than non convertable versions?

I'd bet if that right front wheel is still straight and not disfigured it is easily fixed, the front fender can be seperated at all seems and patched together i bet with others, then it's just the rad if it leaks and air con issues, and pulling that beam straight.

I think they should pay you to drag it away.  After all, no one else will want it and it'll turn into a rotting eyesore if left there any longer.   Therefore, a token 100 snifters from yourself is more than generous.  S-Mann air intake is a rarity.  Not worth a lot, just something you don't see now the last 450s are over a decade old.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

The problem with being too cheap is it'll end up at the wreckers then he'll pay huge for the parts......I can't seem to find smarts before they get into a wrecking year....and I have been looking.

The wreckers won t pay him any more for it, so there's no financial incentive for the owner to do that over selling to our hero.  I don't see a queue round the block of people clutching wads of folding.

I'd offer a ton.  He says no, then fine.  It'll still be there after Christmas and I'll offer him three quarters instead.  

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

I went over tonight with a battery.   The car has no codes (except for the maintenance timer). Odometer shows 138,000 klms.

But of course, it wont turn over. I'm thinking or hoping just a corroded spade connector on the solenoid. 

Ran when parked.  Ha!

Chopper's idea seems about right (100) in that condition, assuming you still want it.

1 person likes this