Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

whats your thoughts

63 posts in this topic

$500 tops. They have little scrap value in weight, scrap is way down since the summer (was $260 a tonne, now under $150). Very very few people have the time to bother with ten year old cars and parts cars so the market has really tanked for used cars of any kind. I just bought 6 cars in an estate and had to have most of them appraised as most were over 20 years old (Ontario law) two were smart 450 coupes, appraiser thought $500 was generous on value for non running cars (one has 60k one 130k) sitting a couple years. Seller was happy to find a buyer...there is a very small market. 

Get a socket on the crank bolt and turn the engine over, maybe cut the serpentine belt off first...it should turn then. 

Selling used parts is also a major hassle lots of initial interest and questions yet few follow through. I have sold at swap meets and ebay, kijiji and such for 25 years. It is not easy to count on that to recoup costs, more a bonus if you can sell anything at all. 

I am stock piling smarts, 4 now plus cleaning out garage collections and dealership stock. I like em, have the time and space to store inside. They are so easy to store and work on vs other cars but I do it for me not thinking of a business case. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

my personal experience is that a cabrio is easier to sell and sells for more than a coupe in same condition

food for thought if you decide to fix it up and flip it

Edited by LooseLugNuts

1 hour ago, houseofdiesel said:

$500 tops. They have little scrap value in weight, scrap is way down since the summer (was $260 a tonne, now under $150). Very very few people have the time to bother with ten year old cars and parts cars so the market has really tanked for used cars of any kind. I just bought 6 cars in an estate and had to have most of them appraised as most were over 20 years old (Ontario law) two were smart 450 coupes, appraiser thought $500 was generous on value for non running cars (one has 60k one 130k) sitting a couple years. Seller was happy to find a buyer...there is a very small market. 

thanks for the info.  i'm like yourself,  i have room in my garage to store it,  and it will be more of a spare parts car for mine till there is nothing left to use.

i was over looking at it again today,  the alternator is seized but it does try to turn over, so i think the engine is free.

its has a good windshield and 4 excellent rims with 2 new back tires, plus alot more usable parts.

selling told me $800.00 cash and he will even float it to my driveway    (which will save me a bunch of stress trying to get a trailer, load it, etc.)

Hmmm.....now he is asking...?  I would counter at 650 or 700 and see his reaction, but not loose deal for a hundred bucks....no-one here will agree so I say keep the final price to yourself...lol  I see how much parts I need add up to fast and see what they are actually worth, then figure out how much....800 hurts but it's useable...imho so the number is up to you obviously.

1 person likes this

I'd leave it and go back in a few months.  It'll still be there, and it's continuing presence simply undermines any higher price they may think its worth. 

Your call though - I don't a first hand appreciation of the rarity (or otherwise) of parts over there, being spoiled with readily available new and used parts here in the UK.

Edited by Chopper

Parts are easy to get, that's not a problem.

On September 30, 2018 at 10:38 PM, LooseLugNuts said:

worth 1000 for parts..but im a cheapy so id offer 500 if thought it was worth 1000

maybe more if engine is found to be good ...

front looks really low...id bet the front springs are broken 

if it were something i was looking at id take it home and quickly assess it ...if i could get it running id probably keep going and fix it to get it back into service

Well it's home in my garage. The front is really low because the bottom spring mounts are missing from both sides.

That makes sense. Some new aftermarket shocks are missing those mounts.

looks like someone scavenged some parts

theres no way it was ever driven with lower spring seats missing

it should be hard to even move like that with nothing supporting the car weight

if i remember right you cant buy those even from the dealer ...you have to buy the whole strut cartridge to get it

Edited by LooseLugNuts

This car is in such good shape that I might change plans and get it back on the road instead of the coupe. It has half the miles on it. And the damage should be an easy fix. I just want to get it to start first. I'm a little disappointed that now I have 2 that won't start. Lol

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, Sydney said:

This car is in such good shape that I might change plans and get it back on the road instead of the coupe. It has half the miles on it. And the damage should be an easy fix. I just want to get it to start first. I'm a little disappointed that now I have 2 that won't start. Lol

LOL....sounds like me....I bought a car thinking I would destroy it scavanging parts from it, only to find after a spirited drive home it drove as good as my good car!    No way I'm wrecking a perfectly good beater just to scavange a few cheap parts...I'll just buy another wreck, hopefully this time in worse shape...lol.

Welcome to my world....you'll get it to run I bet.....just takes time and patience.

Also depending upon which has the better cage, simply start swaping out parts from one to another to make the best of two worlds then scrape together the second and use as a winter beater....like me.

Edited by Willys
1 person likes this

It looks a lot like the same damage I had on our blue smartie.  Not that hard to fix; especially if you're willing to pull the parts off your other smartie that's refusing to start.  Unfortunately, most of the parts in question are plastic, so they're not easily fixable other than by completely replacing them.

1 hour ago, cheapohubby said:

It looks a lot like the same damage I had on our blue smartie.  Not that hard to fix; especially if you're willing to pull the parts off your other smartie that's refusing to start.  Unfortunately, most of the parts in question are plastic, so they're not easily fixable other than by completely replacing them.

Yes, it looks worse than it actually is. From what I can see so far I need both front struts (springs), headlights, the steel front subframe and the rest is just the cosmetic plastic body. 

I didn't get to much accomplished tonight except running my expensive battery charger trying to revive a dead battery. 

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. And my commercial charger/booster was about 30 years old anyway.