stickman007

EGR Map and Tuning Info

12 posts in this topic

So I'm hoping that we can use this thread to collect and share information on the EDC15c5 ECU particularly with regards to EGR off.

With my KWP2000+ finally working, I was able to pull off the ECU my map which according to smartzuum may be actually the FlyingTiger tune light version as I noticed a quicker shift, but no increase in power. What I would like to do is to tune out the EGR section of the map eventually and possibility make some tweaks for a bit more power.

From what I can gather so far:

1) the EGR section of the EDC15C5 map contains a string "001 000 001 048" when setup in a given layout (8-bit view)

2) the 1st set of "001" acts as a switch that turns the EGR map on/off (say 001 for on and 000 for off)

3) an alternative way of removing the EGR map is to edit the parameters at which the EGR is turned on (say to edit the temperature requirements...etc). But I do not have the address location for those parameters.

Does anyone have a legit version of ECU Titanium/WinOLS/Swiftec that they would like to confirm this or do checksum for me?

I know that I can probably pay someone to do the editing, and some ECU software even has modules that automatically deletes the EGR function. But I believe that gaining knowledge doesn't hurt, but my wallet does. I think we can all benefit from learning and understanding how it all comes together and work.

Izzy

I have WinOls but have no idea as how to use it. 

Do you have any map definition file. I posted a link to one a few weeks back. 

1 person likes this

Can I ask here......can you copy your own map so as if you ruin it you can reinstall it again afterwards?  Using the MDSTAR system....?  OR will that system simply reinstall the stock map..?   OR won't the STAR system allow that much interferance by us?

Is there a way to save your map somewhere without losing it for a later date?   Then comes the nasty thought is your map copyable, which would allow you to put it in another car?  Also, how do you know if a car has been mapped differently from the stock map? Will the STAR system show you this or simply ignor it?  Just asking for a friend...lol. No seriously I'm curious to be able to copy my map to put into my winter beater IF it hasn't already been maped.

Thanks guys......

@Willys I think your car already has smart142 tune, but better safe to ask him.

The "map" is where the ECU stores all the parameters necessary for the engine to operate. Basically all ECU takes all the information from the sensors => consult with the map => output to effectors (injectors, timing, fuel solenoid...etc). Where these parameters are stored can be retrieved and overwritten by certain communication protocols such as the KWP2000+ that I mentioned above. MBSTAR is a different communication tool that runs on a different protocol. So to speak, MBSTAR makes changes to the setting of the "program" whereas KWP2000+ changes the coding of the "program."

I did back up my map, so if anybody is interested, pm me and I can send it to you. I'm currently running the Brabus diesel map (at least what I believe it is from my source).

@tolsen I know somebody near Edmonton that has a copy of the legit WinOLS (will go beg and pled to use it)...will download your link and see if I can lean anything from it. Thanks again for the driver and now the definitions!

@smartdriver You were mentioning when we talked in TO this summer that your EGR is tuned out. Any chances we can take a look at your map?

When did Brabus make the diesel map. Wonder if it will work on my 2002 Smart. Tried some of the later maps but my ECU did not like it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, stickman007 said:

@smartdriver You were mentioning when we talked in TO this summer that your EGR is tuned out. Any chances we can take a look at your map?

Sorry, my remap was loaded by an acquaintance and I don't have the tools to copy it.

There is a noticeable difference in performance in my remapped car compared to my stock smartcars.

One feature I noted about the remap is that the EGR valve actuation has been disabled.  The EGR valve must be in place with the required 0.8V quiescent feedback voltage, but the valve itself does not open or close.

This caused some unanticipated difficulties when developing the emulator and I ended up sending the prototype to Bil Gladstome for his evaluation.

My acquaintance is in Toronto and his website is shown below:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/

Edited by smartdriver

@smartdriver thanks for the info and contact!

@tolsen interesting...maybe it was labelled as Brabus, but actually stolen from somebody? FlyingTiger, Smart142 or some European tuner? I have smart142’s map on an old ECU that I should be able to pull out, but kind’a should ask for permission....maybe then I can compare the differences?

What I heard is that BRABUS offered it for a short time, like for about a year after the cdi came out - a.k.a. 1999-2000 - but sales were so poor (no-one bought a cdi for performance where gas engines were available too!) that it was discontinued and then the story gets more murky.....it resurfaced as a Byteshooter product....that's all I know (and it is not verified).

Making a little bit of progress though just like the general consent online, WinOLS has a very steep learning curve.

From my limited experiences and research, I believe that's what the EGR map looks like 2D mode.

IMG_3596.JPG

Found the above map by searching for the "001 000 001 048" string.

IMG_3597.JPG

@toslen The damos file on your link seems to just add a bunch of German folders, but no physical location or definitions. Most likely that I imported them wrong though. Back to hours of YouTube researching!

HA! I jump the gun last nite....here's the OEM EGR map that I've finally found.

IMG_3607.JPG

For those who are nerdy, the location is a 16x12 map 6D724.

Now that I've started comparing my stock map vs the tuned map, I'm sure that the map that I got is stolen from somebody rather than the OEM Brabus. The EGR sections have been modified/deleted - I'll post a pic later, but essentially there is no "dip" (compared to the above pic) meaning the EGR valve does not open at all in any rpm/IQ. With the EGR "tuned" out via this method, the valve body will still need to be connected as the ECU will still do a self check.

Next goal is to find the EGR self check and turn it off!

A question, if you get this up and running and we need to reinstall the EGR, will it have to have the water hoses reattached or can it simply run without that aspect or the system..???   I ask simply as I am thinking of creating more space by removing hoses, but won't if this could be in the works down the road...?

Thanks