Smart31

2006 450 mpg question

12 posts in this topic

• Hello. Car is a 2006 450 cdi Had my smart about 2 months. Getting around 61mpg in town. Its got the 22 liter fuel tank. Gauge comes down alot sooner on the highway. Keep in mind fuel filtee got change week after i got it and maintenence up to date suposedly.
    Getting 45mpg on highway. At 120kms mostly. Big difference when driving in town at 61mpg
    Any body able to tell me if its normal??
  •  
  •  

You need a remap.  It improves highway consumption if you drive fast.  In BC, 120 is legal, maybe 110 in NB? 

But it does seem high....I drove a then non-remapped 450 cdi in winter from east to west on I-90 and 94 and averaging 120 it returned between 55 and 65 MPG on that trip on skinny winter tires.  70+ in normal local driving.

The aerodynamics of a smart are much like that of a brick!  The faster you go, the worse the mileage is going to be. They get really good mileage around 90 to 100kph ..

Pushed into the 115 and 120 range and the mileage will drop dramatically due to the air resistance.

Terrain and wind also plays a big part in mileage because the engine is so small.  City driving will also kill mileage. (stop and go traffic)

Some who "drive it like they stole it" get as low as mid to high 30's.  Those who drive exclusively on a highway at legal speed limits will see nice figures ranging from the high 60s to the low 100's .. again, depending on a lot of the external factors mentioned above.

Personally, I drove from London, Ontario to near Columbus, Ohiio ... did a two day tour and came back to London on one tank of fuel.  Yes, I have the same tank as you..

To experience better mileage, try keeping the revs under 3,000 rpm and above 2,500.

2 people like this

Remaps are easy to find in SW Ontario and BC.  In NB you might have to take the engine ECU off and mail it to a tuner like Glenn (smart142) or Eddy (Flying Tiger).

A remap will tempt you driving it harder hence worse fuel mileage. 

Drive like a granny and you might get similar fuel mileage to mine. 

It's easy to stay under 4 L/100 km with the remap.  The car will easily pull 6th up slopes that will have a stock car in 5th at the same speed.

I hear that is what remappers argue but the car needs power to pull and you won’t get power without fuel. 

Ask yourself whether fuel consumption will be better going up a 5% grade in 6th or 5th.  We're not dealing with one variable here!  I've lived with both a bone stock smart cdi and a remapped one for over 370,000 km and believe me, unless you drive like an idiot, the consumption is identical and even a bit better in some cases with the remap.

1 person likes this

There is an easy expensive way to see what these guys are saying for yourself....buy a ScanGaugeII and install it and set it up so it shows you your average fuel consumption as in litres per hundred kms driven and also actual fuel consumption and RPMs and speed....those are the 4 items i have showing on mine. It makes it very obvious when you are getting poor mileage and why. You will soon see why......either too much right foot, a incline, or too high RPMs or too much speed......as someone has already said, keep your speed between 90-110 and RPMs above 2000 and under 3000 as an average and you should see 70-85 MPGs or 3.5 - 40 litres per hundred kms driven results. Once you get that 80 mpg you will soon keep driving this way. I have seen 2.9 for 20 minutes of driving which is 97 MPGs.....it really does retrain your driving style.  IF you simply ant to scream around, stop thinking of mileages as it's a 800 cc engine that doesn't like being beaten imho.

The ScanGaugeII isn't cheap at $160 ish but it's a handy gadget to retrain your driving style and then you'll love the little beater for sure. I laugh every time i have to stop at a gas station now....always less than $20 to fill at one bubble left and around the 400km mark or better!! Our fuel price is about $.130/lt at the moment....!  I still don't care....lol

Willys thank you. I do drive over 3000rpm on highway.  Ill get a few bucks and get that scangaugell

Im sure there is nothing wrong and its still good milage  thanks once again

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Smart31 said:

Willys thank you. I do drive over 3000rpm on highway.  Ill get a few bucks and get that scangaugell

Im sure there is nothing wrong and its still good milage  thanks once again

1 hour ago, Smart31 said:

I got mine from Amazon, it was the cheapest place at the time and shipped fast, not sure where the best place is now?
Also if you drive it in manual using the stick or paddles and shift around the 2500 mark etc and down at 1900 you'll fine it more economical, but after driving at faster speeds it takes a bit to slow down,,lol.  You need to get into that I don't care mode being the slowest on the road almost to be able to get the really high numbers. I do drive 10 over as a rule...but don't force it, if the engine needs to work to do that I do the limit etc.  Like I said that gauge really helps if you are after mileage results. Plus I live in a relatively flat to rolling hills area. so this also helps my numbers.