Sydney

new starter installed, but wont start

33 posts in this topic

IF only you knew where a good running parts car was...?  Simply swap out engines and enjoy the day....?

4 hours ago, Sydney said:

I have no access to a compression gauge. Do you have any tricks or methods to get somewhat of a compression test done without a gauge? 

I don't have the correct adapter and gauge to accurately check the compression by removing the glow plugs (and those can be difficult to remove from a cold engine)

My method can be done using common tools. The fuel lines can be removed using a 14mm open ended wrench.

I then use a 13mm long socket and put it on the right side of the injector and move it side to side to loosen and then remove. I then clean the shafts with solvent and a lint free cloth. Clean the shafts of the injectors and place back.

Jack up right side of the car and remove the rear wheel. Using extensions and T18 socket you can turn the engine by hand.

You will need a second person to turn the engine or feel to see if the injectors push out when turning.

Relatively simple and can be done in about a half hour.

You will need new copper washers/fire seals from the dealer to reinstall. They are inexpensive.

This works for me.

If one of the cylinders lacks compression it won't start.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Willys said:

IF only you knew where a good running parts car was...?  Simply swap out engines and enjoy the day....?

I'm picking up the parts car saturday. Lol

2 people like this

Smart142 thanks.

I am going to try your method. (i'm in this far now, I might as well keep going) 

MB Star diagnostics can check cylinder compression indirectly.  It does it by analysing changes in angular acceleration for each cylinder.  Low compression on a cylinder means the negative angular acceleration on its compression stroke will be less compared to a good cylinder.  Star can't read actual compression in bar but gives you relative figures.  Very handy for fault finding unSmart no start problems etc owning an MB Star.

would there be any use in taking the valve cover off?   could i see if the valves are working?

or should i just pull the injectors

I always turn engine around by hand to feel if there is any compression.  With valve cover off you will then identify when each cyliner is on its compression stroke.  

5 minutes ago, tolsen said:

I always turn engine around by hand to feel if there is any compression.  With valve cover off you will then identify when each cyliner is on its compression stroke.  

there is something so simple that i must be missing.  when i turn the engine by hand,  i can feel the compression strokes. (its almost hard to turn it past them).

right now the engine is still suspended below the car on the lowering bolts.  i removed the AC system completly  (i'm sure that had no effect).  i checked the SAM  (it looks mint,  no melted pins at all).

and we checked the pressure at the rail.

i wonder if i disable the glow plugs and try a squirt of either   (i have no helper, so it might be hard to do by myself)