Anderson

Help my smart not Starting

4 posts in this topic

Can someone give me some advice my Smart Fortwo cabrio 451 700cc 3 lines on the dash everything works It should but not turning any ideias ?? 

76F7627D-0104-49A1-A9C7-BD34FA998130.jpeg

I suspect your Smart is 450 not 451 since you state it is 700cc.  

I also suspect you have a faulty shift drum angle rotation sensor. This sensor sits on left side of transmission. They fail due to corrosion on seal area between sensor and transmission allow water ingress into sensor. 

Cure:  Remove sensor, clean seal area and fit new sensor applying liberal amount of grease on seal area to prevent further corrosion and water ingress. 

3 people like this

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, tolsen said:

I suspect your Smart is 450 not 451 since you state it is 700cc.  

I also suspect you have a faulty shift drum angle rotation sensor. This sensor sits on left side of transmission. They fail due to corrosion on seal area between sensor and transmission allow water ingress into sensor. 

Cure:  Remove sensor, clean seal area and fit new sensor applying liberal amount of grease on seal area to prevent further corrosion and water ingress. 

Is this the same as the gear position sensor?

Would this cause the engine to not turn over on the key?

Edited by SmarMy

Faulty angle sensor will eventually lead to no gear changes and three bars in display.

Engine won’t  start unless in neutral and foot on brake pedal. 

A common cause for no response from starter is bad contact on spade connector to starter solenoid. 

When turning key to start can you hear a click from relay inside fuse box?

99% certain problem is bad contact on spade connector if you heat above relay clicking.