Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

A few electrical questions.....please.

18 posts in this topic

OK, today's issues...lol

I am knee deep in the dash and centre gauges etc.   I have added a tach and a clock to my 450 which was easy enough except the tach wiring harness has a single loose wire attached to it?  Question is, where does it go? No plug it's simply spliced into another wire. The car I took it from it was spliced into a blue wire. I can see one blue wire but it's being used for something and I do not simply want to splice into it wihout knowing what it is and where it goes.

Next.....when I removed the front centre console I found the three wiring harnesses for the cig light plug, centre light and lastly the switch......but they is also a spare harness there hanging loose and it wasn't used. What is it for? It isn't showing any if much voltages at all with just the key being turned on...?

Third I have a front right side headlight out.....no haven't checked the bulb yet but have read on eilution's sight that there could be a cracked solder joint in SAM......if so, how regular is this to happen?  Just thinking is all...don't want to remove SAM just to look at it, but just might, now I'm curious....augh!

Thanks guys, I can't reinstall dash until I figure out that one wire attached to the tachometer harmness.......thanks again...

Time to get the STAR out and play around with it, maybe it'll tell me...?

• both my smarts had the tach from the factory so I don't know.
  • spare harness near the ciggy lighter is for the fog light switch.
  • both headlight circuits should have an external relay mounted with the lights powered by a new line (inline fused) from the battery.  This saves the SAM.
  • same for the fuel pump circuit.

Even if one headlight circuit is dead, you can power both off the remaining good cone IF you mount a external relay.....

Isn't there a fog light switch on the headlight stawk on the steering column...the position past the headlights?

I had forgotten about the relay system for the ehadlights thanks and also fuel pump.   Good thing i purchased a bundle of relays when i did!

Another question, there are two dead harnesses on both front frame rails that I was thinking was the wiring for said fog lights?  Or, what are they for..?  I wired new spots in using their own relays and switched off the batter by a separate toggle.

Edited by Willys

The one on the stalk is for the REAR fog light.

...and yes the two on the rails are for front fog lights and connect the harness by the ciggy lighter.

20 minutes ago, MikeT said:

The one on the stalk is for the REAR fog light.

OK, so that's for an added fog light or ...?   We used to run rear fpog lights in England where you really needed them. Christ, folks over here drive thinking all their lights are on at night with just their daytime running lights thinking all their lights are on here...!  They wouldn't know what to do with actual fog lights...!

They'd be constantly flashing you thinking you were applying your brake lights to piss them off...lol

I'm still trying to figure out what that one seperate wire is for that follows the tach harness.....can't find it in the STAR system anywhere...?  Nothing about a tach anywhere from what i can see so far.....which means I can't close it up until I figure it out....augh!

Anyone...??????

I'll take a picture of it and try and upload it.....that'll take me some time...lol.

EU versions of the 450 had one reversing light and one fog light on the back.  Canadian ones had dumbed down lights and also lost the orange indicators.

6 hours ago, Willys said:

I'm still trying to figure out what that one seperate wire is for that follows the tach harness.....can't find it in the STAR system anywhere...?  Nothing about a tach anywhere from what i can see so far.....which means I can't close it up until I figure it out....augh!

Anyone...??????

I'll take a picture of it and try and upload it.....that'll take me some time...lol.

I don't know whether this might help.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/28744-tachometer-info-required-for-audible-rpm-alarm/#comment-327957

The small set of three wires that plug into your speedo yellow connector, follow it to the right side of steering column about where your signal switch wire runs along side remove the tape to locate a thin blue wire with the number 15 printed every two inches on it connect the single wire from tach to that. 

7 hours ago, Wild! said:

The small set of three wires that plug into your speedo yellow connector, follow it to the right side of steering column about where your signal switch wire runs along side remove the tape to locate a thin blue wire with the number 15 printed every two inches on it connect the single wire from tach to that. 

Thanks WILD, I'd knew you would know being the electrical GURU so to speak by all the work I see you have done to yours......I did leave some original wire attached to the tach wire to tell me what coloured wire it came from but there are a few possible blue wires it looks like so it made me second and thrid guess which one I cut from wrecked car.
Thanks again. Should be easy now.

Now to check the sam and clock and tack for cracked solder joints for lighting etc.

I stressed my neck too much yesterday, feeling sick now with pain.....might just be a rest day?

The blue wire is for the light in the Tach. On the wire there are very small numbers on it every few inches. some time on these wires they are hard  to see. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this

I was thinking it was the light wire but didn't know what circuit in the clump of wires that light system was. That is what I was after...then wasn't sure if it was a 12 volt wire or something stupid, seeing it's a MB vehicle...lol.  I would kill for a proper wiring schematic! Just a simple piece of paper like the old days with little lines all nicely labeled...lol..!!!

Thanks again...
Didn't take the day off, and now am being forced to....can hardly focus on the keyboard....augh! Damn neck!

OK new issue....driving today....I noticed the RPMs didn't climb to what I think they should be compared to my other Smart.  Is this a known issue and if so how does one deal with it..?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Do you mean that the tach isn't reading as high as it should be or the engine isn't revving as high as it should be?

With your car standing still in neutral and putting your foot on the accelerator what is the maximum RPM that can be reached?

If it is only about 3,000 RPM then the most likely explanation is that the car is in limp mode resulting usually from a stuck EGR valve or wastegate.

Edited by smartdriver

The car drives perfectly andI do know from experience what limp mode now feels like.....the beater no longer has a installed EGR in it's system, but does use it simply electrically until I get a professionally made emulator........I don't like the one I made....far too large...!   The EGR is completely rebuilt and as clean as a new one works perfectly. Just do not want it in the system. Physically is all.

The car's tach simply doesn't rev up like it should.....I first thought it's speedo wasn't correct either but found out it's perfect as I drove through a school zone's speed trap flashing speed signs....45 exactly in a 40 zone.....unintentionally before you traffic Nazi get excited. I'm not a speed freak....lol.

Once the warmer weather gets here I'll start getting things seriously opened up shop wise and work outside, far easier.
The next question would be, can I drive around using the STAR system working in the car watching what it's readings are? First will be my scangaugeII....not a simple unplugging as I embedded it into dash to hide all wiring....so was semi reluctant to remove, but it seems I must. 

The wastegate I have moved with a pair of visegrips way way back when I first started messing with it so knew it moved. Plus the car excelerates better than my summer car which is supposed to be a far better car.  I don't understand that part of it for sure...?

Maybe it's the new nozzles...and sonic cleaned injectors...?  But the difference is definately noticable!

2 hours ago, Willys said:

......... it's perfect as I drove through a school zone's speed trap flashing speed signs....45 exactly in a 40 zone.....

Unusual, since "most" smart speedos are out by approximately 10%.  Both of mine have been checked by the local fuzz and two different flashing speed signs in two different locations.  When my car speedo is showing 55kph, the flashing signs in all three cases were showing 50kph.

Maybe you got a good one! :lol:

I doubt it....seeing as my tach isn't reading correctly imho which makes me think the speedo can't be accurate..lol.   Just fluke luck imho....or the angle in which I read the dial...lol.  I couldn't be so lucky.

The cops seem to have decided it's a good week or day to place those speed flashing indicator signs around our area for some reason...?  It gives me plenty of testing space..lol.