Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

interior door handle

4 posts in this topic

my interior door handle on the drivers door does not work.  (the exterior handle does)

what is the best way to fix it?

remove the interior door panel to access it, or the exterior door shell?

its a 2005 

thanks

I'd go from the inside then also the outside if that didn't show what i needed to get at. I bet just a popped off connection or a busted plastic tab due to some gorilla pulling too hard on it....lol.  They are known to break or sieze, the door cable that is.....my beater is in better condition than my good car in this regard. Seeing as it'll be frozen most of the time i didn't swap them. Just soaked them both in plenty of lube.

1 person likes this

Having just recently replaced the drivers side interior door release I can tell you that you have to remove the external panel because the screw the holds the interior latch is only accessible from that side

I saw them do this repair at the dealer. They didn't remove the whole panel.

What they did first was remove the handle assembly, then the panel was popped offed the top edge - slid down a foot and then a 6'' piece of 2x4 was used to push it out so the lock assembly could be removed.

This was back in the day when they were replacing the locks under warranty and they found this method saved them time.