Sydney

spare key

18 posts in this topic

I only have 1 key for my 2005.

So just for the he'll of it I called a MD dealer here in NS.

Wow... $400.00 for the key and I need to bring my car with its papers to the dealer.

My only problem the closest dealer to me is a 5 hour drive away.

I see a road trip in your future. Chinese key is about $20 cut blank at hardware store find someone with star machine to program car to accept key, several members in Ontario would do it for next to nothing. Also search out automotive locksmith near you or an independent Mercedes shop. 

Nigel

So I wonder about reprogramming used keys. I wouldn't care if the key didn't fit the ignition, as log as it shut the imobilizer off. 

I see on amazon, you can order keys for under 20 dollars.

It's possible, my dealer did it for me for free when the SAM was replaced.  Now I have three keys.

I believe that the dealer can cut you a blade with just the VIN. Just pop the blade out and swap.

As for the FOBs, you can recode an used one without any issues.

Funny, I just asked also about this, lol
I also only have one key for my beater officially. I went to wrecker and saw that some cars had two keys and good fobs.......so, I took second fob. Just so I had what looked like a stock fob and not a clone. Next was wondering about coding them, I have machine, easy...but wondering if for some stupid reason key had to be in fob to be coded as in supplying a ground of some sort etc etc, seems not. So, I will soon be risking it as you have to recode all keys at the same time to a new code when you recode a key. So if you screw it up, you lose all keys not just the second.....augh!  We'll see...lol.  I may just do the James Bond ign system for a key and use the fobs to deal with immoblizer system. Sounds like fun.....

Worst case, get carbon paper if you can find the stuff, place on working key, imprint imagine onto new blade and carefully have at it with die grinder or mill......I made a key for my dad's GTI using a chain saw file way way back in the day and a majic marker doing basically the same thing. Yes different blades now, someone has been paying attention, lol. and made it far more difficult.  But nothing is impossible, IF the dealership makes life too hard! or Expensive!

they dont have to be inserted

you need one that is cut right to turn the ignition on..then use the software to get the sam into learning mode and you will need to press the lock and unlock buttons on all fobs to teach them ...they dont all have to be inserted

in other words you can program the electronics to your car even if the key blade is from a different car

1 person likes this

Isn't that for smarts up to 2004? I thought you need a TAN code to program the Canadian diesels?

Why go to Mercedes to do that? Here in Europe that would be a very pricey move. I would just order a pair from ebay uncut with the chip in.. then find someone in you're area that can program keys/have them cut. 

I'm actually about to do that.. only got 1 key..
Good luck! :):D 

2 hours ago, smart142 said:

Isn't that for smarts up to 2004? I thought you need a TAN code to program the Canadian diesels?

TAN code...?  Does that mean I can't or shouldn't try to do this Glenn...before I get interested...????

If so is this something you have?

4 hours ago, smart142 said:

Procedure is same. Reason for 98-04 is my 02 Smart Cabrio is selected. 

where is the "immobiliser lamp" ?

thats the one part i couldnt figure out..

with a delphi 150 id managed to enter programming mode once and wiped out my keys so none worked...then i managed to get one working again but i never did figure out what the heck the immobiliser lamp was

Hmmm.....isn't that horse shoe switch on the cockpit as they call it that  lamp?   It has a key symbol on it and does flash.  

Thanks Stickman007....puts my mind at ease...lol. Will have a go at it soon.