Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lebikerboy

A new family EV...

31 posts in this topic

Well, we are or soon will be a total EV family. Just put a down payment on a 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric.

With the 400 km's range it will meet all our requirements. It will replace a 2003 Nissan Altima SE which  only

gets 12.5 litres per 100 km's in the city. Looking forward to a new car especially, an environmentally

responsible one. The totally excellent one year experience with the smart EV has convinced me that Electric

vehicles are the way to go...:D

Edited by lebikerboy
1 person likes this

Nice. Have they announced pricing on those yet?

I'm curious to hear what the damage is going to be now that there are no more EV incentives in Ontario.

We still have the $5000.00 grant here in BC plus I'm going to scrap the old car for $6000.00 so $11000 off to start isn't bad.

I imagine the preferred model I'm buying will be around $48000 retail, hopefully I'm high although not due to current legislation though!:rolleyes:

1 person likes this

So, did a little more shopping today and seriously compared the Hyundai Kona to the 2019 Nissan Leaf.

The sales guy I dealt with at Hyundai has moved to another dealership and his replacement is a total dick!

Suddenly I found the Kona to not have enough room and the build quality wasn't up to Nissan's.

So, I put a downpayment on a 2019 Nissan Leaf SV which, is already in stock and the Sales Manager

had put it on hold for me until the new scrap-it incentives kick in, in mid January...

For a scrap-it incentive, you must have owned and insured the said vehicle for no less than six months.

I'd scrap the Benz for 6 grand plus 5 more off a new electric car.  But that won't be for a long time.

so you will get $11k rebated, or $5 at time of sale and $6 as a cheque, but pay tax on full price..... still, a really good deal. If there were an electric I wanted to buy......

I'd really have to start from scratch to figure that out

Actually, the $5000.00 BC rebate and $1000.00 loyalty bonus are deducted before the taxes are calculated...:D

10 hours ago, smartzuum said:

so you will get $11k rebated, or $5 at time of sale and $6 as a cheque, but pay tax on full price..... still, a really good deal. If there were an electric I wanted to buy......

I'd really have to start from scratch to figure that out

Well, Tesla just pushed out a “track mode” software update to the Model 3, if that sweetens the deal at all in Tesla’s favour. ;) 

https://jalopnik.com/track-mode-is-out-to-turn-a-tesla-model-3-performance-i-1830319101

Edited by darren

The Tesla 3 looks to me like a Mazda 3 with no face, with an interior by the guy who did the first generation Cavalier.  The tech is nice but the rest is meh, especially at that crazy price.  The analysis of the bodyshell indicated they don't quite know what they're doing yet.

1 person likes this

I have put the eGOLF on my radar... The trick now that I just sold a 2000 Echo, is to get a beater insured for the 6 months.....

Anecdotally, any ideas how far into the year the Scrap-it rebates make it? If til June or July, this might be doable. Scrap beater, trade in Mazda CX-5, pay cash on balance, get a discounted charger, and have another car that depreciates quickly! LOL

According to the VW website, the residual is 49% after 12 months...

I could buy a used EV I suppose, or trade in towards one. Save all the other non-sense - it's assumed by me that the huge depreciation takes into account the massive incentives

Not interested in a smart EV at this time, I need room and range... 

Mitsubishi is making a PHEV Outlander, but it's zero bucks on scrap it, and just $2500 instead of $5000, and they aren't cheap and don't go that far

The eGOLF satisfies one of my criteria, which is that the car should basically look like it's siblings.... 

There's a guy offering up Chevy Spark EV's for like $12000 CAD, they are US cars that they bring across

That's a bit better size than a smart

I should have a look to see what MB has brewing for Hambach 'EQ' models.... I'm good with a mid 30's price tag plus freight and tax, that makes for a car that costs not much more than my smart did new (mid-high 20's) assuming incentives stay in place

The one thing they need to address is paying road tax - which I think should be covered through ICBC insurance somehow, whether they just bill a reasonable flat amount per year, or charge based on odometer readings somehow. It's not sustainable to ignore this long term.... and burden everyone else with the cost.

The Spark EV's stated range (when brand new) is only 82 miles / 132 km, which isn't much better than the smart. Yeah, you get a bit more room, but if you start filling that space with stuff, there goes your range. And with it not being sold in Canada, good luck getting it serviced.

The eGolf also only has 200 km stated range, probably significantly less in real world conditions. 

I can't even consider an EV with less than 300 km range now that I live in the east end of Toronto, and my dad lives in Kitchener. If I can't get to his place and back, it's pointless. If he installs an EV charger, I might reconsider. 

Edited by darren

As long as the lift kitted 4x4 duallys are on the road, the fuel tax is safe, but governments need NOW to be working on a replacement or our already bad roads will be getting worse.

I think the eGOLF is up to 300 km, but is rated at a 'real world' 200... which simply means don't run AC and drive up the Coq at full tilt....

All the same rules apply as far as hypermiling goes, and then use of features drains further.... so you can be frugal I would imagine, but obviously heat in the winter is a bit neccessary

The eGolf is rated at 201 km range (NRCan combined).

I would need 300 km of highway range, without compromises. I'm not driving to Kitchener or our friends' cottage in the Kawarthas in winter with no heat on in the car.

Edited by darren

23 minutes ago, darren said:

The eGolf is rated at 201 km range (NRCan combined).

I would need 300 km of highway range, without compromises. I'm not driving to Kitchener or our friends' cottage in the Kawarthas in winter with no heat on in the car.

The only car that I know of that has the range you need is out of the price range of a lot of people.  The Tesla ..... Your best affordable option (as I see it) is to get a hybrid of some sort.  You would still be using the ICE engine but the battery will give giant assists and in some brands, you can drive exclusively on the battery until the charge level gets too low and the ICE engine kicks in.  Good luck in your search.

The 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric is supposed to get 400km's and the long range

version of the Nissan Leaf is around 350 km's. However, there will be a corresponding

increase in price probably, around the Chevy Bolt price.

1 person likes this

On December 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM, MikeT said:

As long as the lift kitted 4x4 duallys are on the road, the fuel tax is safe, but governments need NOW to be working on a replacement or our already bad roads will be getting worse.

I just watched a news video of a company developing states side of the border that is recycling plastic into diesel fuel. They are managing to utilize 70-80% of the plastic for the new diesel and the remaining is used to fuel their process. Seems promising as they are claiming 10 tons waste: 2500 gallons fuel a day current numbers. I'll try to get the link ( kinda more mechanical than techy myself)

Is it just me, or is turning plastic into a form that can be burned not a great solution to the problem? All they’re doing is moving the pollution from the ground and the water and putting into the air instead. 

Theres a a new generation of EVs coming that are going to totally transform the landscape, the Hyundai Kona being one of them. I’ll be really interested to see the real-world performance of that one when it comes out. As much of a fan of Tesla as I am, I don’t care for the sedan packaging of the Model 3. I wish they had made it at least a liftback instead of giving it that huge glass roof and a conventional trunk. I much prefer hatchbacks. 

For the the time being, owning a car does not make much sense for me. But I’m still watching the market closely, and it’s exciting to see some really compelling new EVs coming. 

1 person likes this

I'll be interested to read about the improvements over the 2011 we have at work.  Will charging two cars at home bump your BC Hydro rate per kW/h up a tier or two?