Sydney

the accident rebuild

99 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Willys said:

I do not think our trannies are like the old school mechanical ones...where they had a pin that engaged to lock out the tranny. It was stripable if you did something stupid, but if it was in park it wasn't going anywhere. Where as I think the Smart relies heavily on electronics to do everything...such as moving the gears around within the tranny and not linkages. I haven't had the fun of taking one apart yet, to be able to say for certain but seeing how I got my gears all messed up simply by walking out of the teach in  too soon.....that tells me it's all fly by wire, electronicly controled. I say always use your parking brake and do not rely on your tranny park function. 

i must be missing something, i didn't realize the trannies in our smarts had a park function...   how do you engage and disengage this?   mabey i put mine in part by mistake.  but i cant see how i would have done it due to the lack of the clutch acuator.

46 minutes ago, Sydney said:

i must be missing something, i didn't realize the trannies in our smarts had a park function...   how do you engage and disengage this? 

You are quite correct. I misspoke.

I should have said that I put the car into reverse.

CUNNINGHAM'S LAW

"The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

Edited by smartdriver
1 person likes this

This looks very much like my bike's tranny....lol. That shift drum look hauntingly familiar...lol.  So what is shifting the gears then, just the acctuator? How can I select specific gears and they have specific numbers assigned to them? Doesn't the actuator simply push the clutch? So there is something else selecting the gears?  Something must turn that selector drum to get the gears to move. Hmmm...I know...the numbers are the distance the drum is held at so it's either slightly in, fully in or silghtly out of gear depending upon where the gear drum is being held at. There must be a motor or something holding the drum...?

Hmmm....????    Best to watch video before speaking...lol. I see that motor now as they turn the tranny....that is what is turning the shift drum and also holding the drum at a specific rotation meaning it's either in gear fully or not, as the forks or whatever they are called travel along their tracks.

Edited by Willys

47 minutes ago, smartdriver said:

You are quite correct. I misspoke.

I should have said that I put the car into reverse.

CUNNINGHAM'S LAW

"The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm new to smarts and was trying to figure out why all 3 of mine didn't have park. Lol

There is never a wrong answer. 

I think it best i go back to bed NOW, before placing another foot in my mouth without thinking....For some reason I was thinking rev was park also...lol....even after pushing car around in N and the only way to keep it still was the handbrake...DOH!   I have run the car over my right foot at least 3 times already.....and I can tell you it's not that comfortable....in running shoes...lol
Back to bed I go....lol. 

8 hours ago, Sydney said:

i must be missing something, i didn't realize the trannies in our smarts had a park function... 

The '05 and '06 diesel smarts do NOT have a "park".  It is generally recommended that when parking, the tranny is in reverse AND the parking brake applied.

1 person likes this

More progress tonight.  

Put some of the red panels on. (I like the red on silver). Also lubed the clutch acuator, installed new rear brakes, fixed a broken interior door handle.  

While I was tinkering, I noticed my down shift steering wheel paddle does not work. I guess I'll add that to my list.

IMG_20181108_225138.jpg

Reluctor rings...? Good?  Star would solve the paddles maybe or a broken wire..?

I agree colours look good for sure!

Try pulling both paddles at once, or honking the horn and using the upshift paddle.  They're all on the same circuit and sometimes the multiplexer gets confused.  Also, if you have carbon dioxide spray shoot some in the area where the contacts are.

There is no parking pawls or such mechanism in the 450’s transmission. 

IMG_1581.jpg

Above photo shows dedents at end of shift drum.  No park position can be seen. 

I normally park in reverse but sometimes in first. 

This is why i need a parts car for real, to be able to diesect things without thinking i'm destroying a perfectly good vehicle...lol.

Thanks for the pics.

6 hours ago, MikeT said:

Try pulling both paddles at once, or honking the horn and using the upshift paddle.  They're all on the same circuit and sometimes the multiplexer gets confused.  Also, if you have carbon dioxide spray shoot some in the area where the contacts are.

Horn works and the upshift paddle works.

7 hours ago, Sydney said:

Horn works and the upshift paddle works.

Yup I got that; I meant that if you pull both paddles at once or one paddle and the horn, sometimes the confusion in the system will resolve.

1 person likes this

On November 9, 2018 at 2:25 PM, MikeT said:

Yup I got that; I meant that if you pull both paddles at once or one paddle and the horn, sometimes the confusion in the system will resolve.

Thanks for the tip. With the car idling I pulled both paddles, the horn blew and then the paddles fixed themselves. 

Everything works normal now.

1 person likes this

Well that's it, my rebuild is complete.

So here's the rundown. 

Smashed car $800.00

Parts needed from my parts car

Both headlights

Nose cone

Door panels (only for the color)

Front springs

Front brakes

Air box

Front subframe

And a few other minor bits and pieces 

IMG_20181111_144835_edit.jpg

2 people like this

29 minutes ago, smart142 said:

Congrats!  That cabrio would have been about $22,000 new!!

Thanks, couldn't have done it without the help and support from the members in this club. 

Worth every penny it cost eh...love it!

Now, what's next?

Found another yet?....

31 minutes ago, Willys said:

Worth every penny it cost eh...love it!

Now, what's next?

Found another yet?....

Going to get back to work on the coupe. When I'm done I will have a complete 05 cabrio & 06 coupe. The car that turned into the parts car was the red & black cabrio. 

1 person likes this

Your finished project looks great.  Now all you need is to wait for some sunshine and warmth to do the "top down" thing :D

1 person likes this