toangelis

ED power elctronics module.

6 posts in this topic

Hi I'm new to this club.  We've had a smart car for years.  Four years ago we reluctantly let go of our diesel and bought an electric one.  We recently paid off the vehicle and two months later we had an error message telling us to check with the dealer.  We brought it in and it was diagnosed with a failed power electronics module. We didn't think much of it until we got the estimate to repair it.  The total cost is $6,027. which includes over $4,000. just for the part.  Has anyone had to deal with this and can I buy a used part or a direct part to help reduce this cost?

Tell your dealer that you would appreciate the dealer going to bat for you on a courtesy repair, or at least a cost share.  Especially if you bought the car there, at M-B, they should be responsive if their customer service is worth anything.  Also, do not hesitate to take it up with head office if your dealer is unresponsive.

What year is the car?  If it's just over 4 years old, this is atrocious!

MikeT  "atrocious" is much too kind.......

1 person likes this

Were there any symptoms besides the error message?  If the "power electronic module" is the motor controller and it has not blown up, it should be a repairable item.  A repair to the module may only be in the range of hundreds of dollars not thousands.

I would like to see one of these module's circuitry . 

i