Willys

Very close to beat my winter beater to DEATH..!

57 posts in this topic

On January 6, 2019 at 6:43 PM, Willys said:

One thing I need is the knowledge of which wire goes to the starter ...as I was so frustrated I simply pulled those wires off blind after getting my hands stuck for a few minutes deep down in the engine compartment.....digging for the altenator rear bolt.  The thought of getting someone to help me get my hands unstuck was a serious worry...lol

Willys

I have found that when I get my hands free and am frustrated at whatever I am working on, I place my tools down and go have a tea.  I calm down and tend to not break things or mess them up.  This normally ends up saving me time, money and the terrable cycle of getting even more frustrated.

Lonnie

Engine compartment all back together now, just need to refill the coolant and change out fuel filter, then rear pan and rear fender piece.   Time for a coffee as I'm just about frazzled now. I'd love to meet the fool who designed this working space......typical engineer...augh!  Knows he'll never have to work on the machine he's designing....probably still laughing when he thinks of how he designed it!   My hands and arms look like I have some foriegn desease....all blotchy and torn up....lol.

I'm also thinking of installing a 5 way harness for all the added power and speed it'll have now i have reduced the weight and saved HP from removing the air-con pump and a few lines.  Damn....it'll be like night and day...!  I can't wait!

Now where is that Christmas cake.....Mmmmmm......

Just a quick update while making a coffee and getting some fresh air...she's ALIVE....!!!!!

Next is to attach STAR and test everything before zipping up everything. Then I'm going to fix a cracked air scoop on the rear hatch.....it got eaten by my garage opener last time I took her off lift system...sniff sniff....fingers crossed.......no codes or leaks as of yet......damn....jinxed it!

Just installed brand new injector nozzles...WOW...!!!    It feels so much more peppy than even the summer car....could new injectors actually do this or that much?  So now i am finally driving the beater....fingers crossed.....so I can dig into the summer's car engine as in maybe new injectors for it and deal finally with that bothersome alternator squealing ....!

One thing I did notice was the tach isn't reading accurately which is a pain!  I turned it on with the STAR and it idles just fine but it hangs low while driving.  Hmmmm....?

The issue before was I had an injector pop loose or I didn't tighten it down well enough and it allowed compression to leak past the old copper ring....I installed new o ring and it's perfect now....again knock on wood.

2 people like this

That's great news! Glad you got them installed! 

Yeah, the nozzles really helped my car, went from barely running to what I think is normal running. My wife really likes driving it and wants to get it chipped this spring. I'm going to do some baseline fuel economy and performance tests beforehand so I can document the differences.

I'll have plenty of opportunity for the fuel economy runs, just accepted a position that involves a lot of driving. :) 

Well, that's great news.....should be good to see the differences.

Speaking of differences.......2 days ago it was "T" shirt weather....raking the lawn, put the snow thrower away for the season....etc etc....swapped cars ......which may have been the only sensible swap....lol

Last night we go a solid 8 plus inches of SNOW, heavy snow too boot...!     So today I'm taking the beater to see what turning off the traction control is like....lol.   Thought I would need to wait until next winter to experience that...Boy was i wrong!!!

As for those nozzles, can you get more?   I'm not ready yet but if they are the reason for the definate difference between the two cars I'll be after another set.  I also need to figure out if there is a difference in the mapping of the two cars..?

The beater takes off far better than the summer car and also pulls up hills better.