Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pabab

Project: Replace rear bearings Smart CDI 2005

7 posts in this topic

Hello Members,

The mechanic diagosed that the Smart has failed bearings in the rear. He showed me how the wheels were noisy and had a play while on the hoist.

They quoted $700 with parts and labor.

Considering the cost involved and suggestions from a member in this forum, I have decided to undertake this project myself.

I am completely naive to repairing a car. But I believe you members will guide me through this.

Step 1 is to procure the wheel bearing hub assembly. Several eBay sellers have it for approx CAD 120 including shipping. The mechanic had the same part for CAD 230. Do you guys know any supplier in GTA who has better deals. Am trying to squeeze in as much as possible.

I will post the progress and seek more help along this project.

Cheers!

Edited by pabab

Do you have the right tools?

You will need  E14 and E18 1/2'' sockets just for starters.

Evilution has a guide.... https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=chassis&mod=457

IMHO if you have never done any car repairs this is probably not the one to start with as you also have to remove the rear drive shaft.

If you want to drive to London I could get the job done for about 1/2 the amount quoted.

1 person likes this

I guess Willybon the forum also recommended me to go to you. If it can be done is $350 or less, I can come down to London. Can I have your phone number to discuss more details?

Thanks

1 person likes this

Look at the top of the page under service options and you will find Glenn’s ( Smart142 ) numbers there.  I’m sure for another fifty he’ll give the car a good look over. Since he only does smart cars he knows the common failure points.  

Nigel

Got this done last weekend.

Bought bearings from german auto parts. $135+tax each.

Back2Road Auto on Glidden in Brampton replaced them $120+tax each.

Total = $576.30

The cost of the car just went up by 25%. Lol.

2 minutes ago, pabab said:

Got this done last weekend.

Bought bearings from german auto parts. $135+tax each.

Back2Road Auto on Glidden in Brampton replaced them $120+tax each.

Total = $576.30

The cost of the car just went up by 25%. Lol.

Holy crap batman.....it took me 20 minutes for the first side then less for the other.....DAMN.....sorry buddy!

Good to hear it's fixed and yes they weren't cheap to buy from what I remember....

I replaced a rear bearing last summer. Evilution gives a fine howto, and I even installed two washers on the top bolts to make the wheel more vertical, as suggested. And I did not remove the driveshaft; the bearing clears with simply pushing it back out of the way. I bought the bearing from germanparts.ca. It was less than $150 if I recall. I used an SAE 12-point socket on the hub bolt. I don't recall the size, but the bolt was a bit rusty, and by pounding the socket on with a hammer (not too much force, either) it was a nice snug fit.