Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luca

Check clutch wear from ODB

5 posts in this topic

I recently had a problem with the clutch and I had to call a service truck to bring my car to a repair center.

The guy told me that they had to replace the clutch, so I did it. It was really expensive, but I still have some problems with the clutch. I was wondering if there is a way to check that the clutch has been really replaced with a new one. I heard that from the ODB it is possible do diagnose the clutch wear. is it true and reliable?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone where I am now and I don't really trust the guy that has (hopefully) replaced the clutch.

Thank you for your help.

Did the mechanic know to re-teach the clutch actuator using the STAR system? After replacing the clutch, it is a required operation. This could explain why you are still having clutch issues. 

Thanks Darren. I think so. But I am doubting if he really replaced the clutch. Is it true that I can inspect the clutch and get a "wear percentage"from the ODB diagnose? How accurate is it?

In this case I would like to check this parameter with another mechanic to be sure that the clutch is really new.

Edited by Luca

I believe something like measuring clutch wear is outside of the scope of what OBD-II is designed for, and there is no Parameter ID for it that I could discern. The only thing transmission-related I could find in the list of PIDs is the actual gear the transmission is in. The OBD system is designed more for engine and emissions management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Edited by darren

8 hours ago, Luca said:

Thanks Darren. I think so. But I am doubting if he really replaced the clutch. Is it true that I can inspect the clutch and get a "wear percentage"from the ODB diagnose? How accurate is it?

In this case I would like to check this parameter with another mechanic to be sure that the clutch is really new.

This testing equipment you speak of simply plugs into the OBD-II port right? Its' the same port the STAR system measures uses, doesn't it have means to measure the life left so to speak on the clutch? By it's slippage, length of travel to enage or disengage, etc etc...I don't know, just asking, I have the STAR and have taught my transmission and clutch a few times already just to learn things...It even set gears within the transmission and their locations I think. I could be wrong?  So if it can do that it makes sense I may be able to measure what is left of the clutch?  Depends on how good the guy is with his machine, I'm useless up to now on it, still learning how to get lost deep inside it...lol. It is amazing what it can do if you know how to use it properly.