Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

rebuilding injectors

37 posts in this topic

Do you have a link to the bleed back test or could tell me how that is done?

8 minutes ago, mender said:

Do you have a link to the bleed back test or could tell me how that is done?

Thanks!

Good to know but my engine is only running for seconds so can't do the test. I'm going to send them out for cleaning and testing at the local shop. I might clean the spares that I have myself just to see.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/20/2018 at 8:59 AM, houseofdiesel said:

There are no parts. Period end of story. Bosch only offers complete injectors.

If you manage to find parts they will be copies and not original Bosch. Might work, might fail shortly or not.

Testing them is import and most Bosch diesel rebuiders can-flow is what is important they usually do not deliver enough fuel quantity causing hard starting or misfires.

Yet I see pictures of the remanufactured injectors showing nice shiny new nozzles, so obviously they're getting new nozzles from someone. Are you saying that the remans are not using Bosch parts?

Edited by mender

I personally think they have a stake in the game of rebuilding their own injectors and want to keep everyone else out of it, cornering the market, our market, MB's market?

Other manufacturers allow their injectors to be rebuilt or parts to be supplied by other people...why not ours?

Willys its simple supply and demand.  They control the supply, so we have to pay what they demand.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I posted this in the "Diesel not starting" thread as part of the follow-up to my path from no-start to running very well but will include it here as well since it is essentially a continuation of this topic and answers the original poster's question.

The latest:

I am able to source new Bosch nozzles and bought a set of three to test on my car. Installation time was about one hour and that includes removing the injectors, replacing the old nozzles, installing the new fire rings and reinstalling the injectors. The results: the car starts and runs very well now, took it for a short test drive and got up to 110 kph without issue and throttle left to go, so I assume that the power is back to normal. I just rebuilt the engine and the car has been sitting for probably ten years so I'll get everything sorted first and then do acceleration testing later.

The original nozzles in my 81,000 km 2006 CDi and the spare set that I bought had rust pitting around the base and I suspect in the orifices, causing them to fail the flow test. I found that a simple visual test showed quite a difference between the old nozzles and the new ones. After undoing the nozzle cap and removing the nozzle, I sprayed WD-40 through the nozzle using the straw to reach in and seal against the internal surface. A quick spritz resulted in one and maybe two reasonable sprays from the possible five holes and a couple more weak sprays. The new nozzles of course had five even healthy sprays, and it took a noticeably shorter time for the pressure of the spritz to drop. No need for sophisticated test equipment to see the difference!

For those who would be interested in a little DIY, I can procure more new nozzle sets through my engine building business. Price for three new Bosch nozzles and three fire rings will be $395 CDN plus shipping and applicable taxes. I suspect that a lot of the CDi injectors from the 2005-2006 cars are suffering the same fate as both my sets, with rust in the orifices and the resulting loss of flow and power and, as in my case, hard/no starting.

Just doing the nozzles is a lot cheaper than getting the injectors rebuilt. PM me if interested.

Edited by mender
1 person likes this

I KNEW IT....!!!!

It just required someone with the right connections that could get exactly what we all need to freshen up our engines....!  Excellent work!

As you have pointed out, it isn't rocket science to replace the nozzles and get the job done yourself.  No need to take your injectors to a shop to get hosed by for exorbinate amounts of money when you can get the same sort of result by doing this simple replacement  yourself.

Again thanks for the hard work resourcing them....put me down for a set!

Thanks

Jonathan

2 people like this

You're at the top of the list, Jonathan! :)

For those who are wondering if new nozzles will be worth the cost, it only takes about an hour to remove all the injectors and do the simple WD-40 test that I described above to see how the old nozzles are doing. I spent almost $200 getting my injectors "cleaned" and tested by a dedicated diesel shop. I was thinking of having them re-tested with the new nozzles but it was pretty easy to see the difference in the spray patterns.

1 person likes this

Cool that is a recent development as previously Bosch offered no single parts just complete units. This was after extensive research and consulting with an authorized service center. 

Anyone care to share a Bosch part number?

I remember in the past I advised against green fuels but was told off. Run your Smart on proper diesel and there will be no need for new or rebuilt injectors.