Bennybear5068

Winter Tires

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I am new to the group. I live in Oklahoma City. I was wondering how do smart cars do in the snow and what kind of tires should I get for my smartie?? 

I have a 2013 Smart Fortwo!!!

Edited by Bennybear5068
Needed to add more

They're OK in the snow.  Get proper winter tires: Continental and Bridgestone are two decent brands in smart sizes.  The main problem is the car has low clearance so in deep snow it can get grounded out.  Secondary issues are the ABS and the effects that has in snow (lengthens stopping distances in some conditions) and the ability to get moving due to the simulated limited slip differential that uses the rear brakes.  This can prevent wheelspin in cases where you need it to get moving.  But generally they're quite OK.

I drove one from Toronto to Vancouver Island in a snowstorm in February on I-90 and I-94, and we were the fastest thing on the road.

Welcome to the club.

I run 4 Toyo Observe GSi-5 in 145/65R15.  In the last decade I have never missed a day of work in the winter because of owning a fortwo.

8 hours ago, Huronlad said:

Welcome to the club.

I run 4 Toyo Observe GSi-5 in 145/65R15.  In the last decade I have never missed a day of work in the winter because of owning a fortwo.

How much of a difference do you feel running all 4 front sized tires compared to the wider rears?  I know why, just curious if it work like it's supposed to...?

as smart as the smarts are,  its too bad MB didnt think of a traction control bypass switch like i have in my GMC pickup.  it really helps when you are stuck and need the wheel spin to get moving.

1 person likes this

I don't have a favourite brand, but DO get winter tires of some sort.  Some of the suggestions (above) are going to get you pointed in the right direction anyway.  The summer tires that smarts come with are about as useful in snow as a screen door on a submarine. :lol: 

BTW Bennybear5068, :welcome: to the club.

2 people like this

There is a mod on Evilution for fitting an off switch for the traction control element of the stability control, useful in snow if thats your thing.  A relatively simple mod.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

Just now, Sydney said:

its too bad MB didnt think of a traction control bypass switch like i have in my GMC pickup.

Disabling the TC in the 451 is very easy if your hands are large enough.  In a 450 in only takes a little longer to use an OBDII based disabler.

1 person likes this

On 11/9/2018 at 9:51 AM, Sydney said:

as smart as the smarts are,  its too bad MB didnt think of a traction control bypass switch like i have in my GMC pickup.  it really helps when you are stuck and need the wheel spin to get moving.

Wheel spin is hard on the clutch, found that out one cold and snowy night. Did learn how to adjust it though