dolphinfreindly

steering angle sensor

8 posts in this topic

I have purchased a used flappy paddle wheel to replace my non paddle wheel. The new wheel is complete apart from the airbag.

I have read many things about the steering angle sensor on the rear all of which say "do not rotate", but my concern is that it doesent rotate...

The front has 3 clips to hold it to the frame, which are all present and correct, but if I hold the outer portion at the rear the only movement I get is from the clips moving in the frame. Im trying to avoid having to disasemble the wheel twice but cant decide if the angle sensor on the back of the replacement is any good. There is a line that has been drawn on whech lines up which was probably added when the wheel was removed from its previous car.

can anyone shed any light??

thanks

The Torx headed screw that holds steering wheel onto steering column should engage a slot in squib which prevents squib from rotating.  Steering must be dead straight when fitting or removing steering wheel.

To confirm your squib is in dead straight position simply turn screw further in so you can rotate squib.  See if you can turn about same number of turns to each side, then centre squib and engage screw in slot.

A10-AD181-41-BE-4908-ACD3-4-BF3-FB64252-

Above photo shows back side of my non paddle steering wheel.  Torch points to threads on screw.  There is more info on Evilution but he does not mention the importance of screw engaging slot in squib.

Check electrical continuity the two clock spring using a multimeter before fitting air bag.

Hi Ttolsen, Many thanks for the info, it is a big help and has put my mind at ease somewhat.

Wrt the continuity, which pins am I testing with?

Thanks again

Just noticed yours may be a 451 model hence my advice may not be 100% correct but I guess the way the squib locks will be similar.

Yes,  it's exactly the same.

The airbag is swapped over and the wheel has been installed.  Looks like im going to MB to get it activated though.

Thanks for your help and you are just down the road too :)

If you are near me, I may be able to activate your paddles.  Fee four pub pints of good ale.