Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartdriver

Cause of Engine Vibration When Idling?

5 posts in this topic

My 2005 Coupe with 75,000 km which I haven't driven for a while has a distinct vibration which you can even feel in your seat and in the shift lever when idling at 800 RPM.

I smooths out, however, when a bit of throttle is added.

Not being a car guru, I was hoping to get an opinion on what it might be. Two uneducated suggestions are motor mounts or missing on one cylinder at low RPM.

Is the tach bouncing?

My guess one poor injector.

2 people like this

Thanks for the tip. Clever thought.

The tach is steady at 800 RPM when idling.

I was curious if any one of Canadian Tire's fuel additives would be an asset to cleaning the injectors?

Any suggestions?

If the tach is steady then the next uneducated thing to check is the motor mounts.

Run a bit of Moly injector cleaner.  On a nearly empty tank at temperature, add a full bottle.  Drive about 50k at high speed (on the ring road called Anthony Henday here in Edmonton) then fill the tank.

This stuff can act as a solvent and clean out your tank as well, so expect to replace the filter after 2 or 3 tanks after treatment.

Also check if the little rubber bumper thingy is still on the muffler.  I know this seems dumb, but that actually is a vibration dampener and is noticeable when you forget to put it back on.

Edited by Ravk