Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rippearce

Flat towing of a 2008 Smart Passion

5 posts in this topic

Can I tow my 2008 smart car for a long distance and how do I set it up to do that. Just bought a smart car with 253K on it.

I agree, but if it were me, I'd remake the front bumper/crash bar out of heaver gage steel and attach it better than the stock front bar is attached. But that's just me....Better to be safer than sorry.....imho. It wouldn't be difficult at all. I have a front crash bar here waiting to be copied for just such a thing. On my list of things to get done over the winter.

I'm not an expert on this but I believe if you research the threads in the link above you'll see a base plate is required for towing with all four down.  The base plate attaches to the frame, not to the front bumper where the tow hook holes are. Contacting a Blue Ox or Roadmaster dealer should get you the info you need.  :)

1 person likes this

Hmmm....?   Just my opinon of course but the amount of work involved with making a bracket where they are connecting it to It would be less work to simply copy the front crash bar with a far more beefy cross member...then use new bolt holes to attach tow bar.....yes before the folks start onto me about changing the  crush capabilities of the safety zone....Hmm...well that is your choice. But I would remake the front bar and attach it to the same frame as the road master is but facing forwards on the original bumper attachment locations with stronger bolts.   

But then again, why and what are you towing it with? Think about a light weight tubular trailer as a piggy back for the smart over towing it. Far easier not cheaper I bet but far less work and modifications required and it also could be used for other things too.  It's only money.  as they say.   For us not so wealthy, make buy whatever you need to attach a strong system to the frame and go from there. It isn't that difficult for any metal fabricator to make for you.  If you can't do it your self. BUT I hope you can lay a good strong weld and not as they say pigeon shit welds.....lol