Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

factory fog light switch

13 posts in this topic

stupid question,   i switching my car back to origional  (signal lights in the headlights)  and installing factory fog lights where the signal lights were.

where does the factory fog light switch go?  there does not seem to be a factory location for it.  (i assumed it was where the dimmer,lighter and light are)

Next to the interior lightning the dashboard, other side from the 12v socket.

What is the last position on the light stawk for then...?   I have one position past the headlights...?  I asumed it was there? 

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Next to the interior lightning the dashboard, other side from the 12v socket.

There is a dimmer switch in that location on mine.  

2 hours ago, Willys said:

What is the last position on the light stawk for then...?   I have one position past the headlights...?  I asumed it was there? 

That is for the factory rear fog light. The European cars had one rear fog light on the right side and one backup light on the left side. When the came to this side of the water they deleted the fog light and installed another back up light.

Thanks.....Hmmm....makes you think....wonder if the wiring is still there...lol...?   I like being seen!

3 hours ago, Willys said:

Thanks.....Hmmm....makes you think....wonder if the wiring is still there...lol...?   I like being seen!

Here is my right rear light. The empty socket is for the rear fog light (switch on light switch stock).

Looks like MB disabled it by snipping off the positive feed in the socket

IMG_20181114_230748_edit.jpg

4 hours ago, Sydney said:

There is a dimmer switch in that location on mine.  

IMG_20181114_230932_edit.jpg

Edited by Sydney

Yup. 

If if you pop the dimmer switch out and fish around behind the panel, you’ll find another pair of wires taped behind that panel to one side of the switch. They should have a connector on them already. Pop off the dimmer connector, attach the other wires to the switch, and you’ve got yourself a running light switch!

i never dimmed my dash lighting, so losing that functionality wasn’t a big deal for me. 

3 people like this

32 minutes ago, Willys said:

Think it's repairable?

I am just looking at the socket. 

I'm questioning my research now. If you follow the trace that is cut off the missing light, it is also the feed to the light about it. But it is the same on all 3 of my smarts.  

I'm starting to confuse myself. Lol

2 hours ago, Sydney said:

Here is my right rear light. The empty socket is for the rear fog light (switch on light switch stock).

Looks like MB disabled it by snipping off the positive feed in the socket

IMG_20181114_230748_edit.jpg

The European version of the cabriolet has two tail lights per side, only the upper one of which has a brake light too.  What I did is buy replacement bulb holders and put them in, so now I have twin tail lights on each side.  I first noticed this in Europe in 2005 so I immediately bought the new bulb holders.

The rear fog light is on the driver's side and replaces the reversing light.  In other words, Canadian cars do not have it.  And buying a set of EU lenses won't help because then you will have orange and red brake lights, still no rear fog light and one red and one clear reversing light.  You will have to remove the Canada-E-Box in order to revert to European light operation.  Dang, former member here, did this conversion to his car, that Glenn now owns, and it was a huge amount of work.  It's documented here, somewhere....

The fog light switch goes where the dimmer switch (more or less an on/off switch, so useless) goes.  The dimmer switch is unknown in Europe.  The switch position "4" on the rotary part of the headlight switch is the rear fog light switch. 

1 person likes this