Sydney

lost key

26 posts in this topic

here is one i need some help on.   (people in my area are starting to realize i have a "thing" for smart cars)

i had a gentleman stop by today with a problem.  his brother passed away, and left behind an 06 coupe (pulse).

i want to try to help this guy out.  he wants to clean out the car of his brothers personal things.  but the only key is lost.

the car has been sitting for a couple of years, so battery would be dead also.  is there a way to get into the car with out breaking anything?

i told him that without a key,  he might be in trouble.

(the only thing i can think of is trying to get something in the window and pull the door handle)

I would think that calling a tow company which also provides lock-out services would be an option?

1 person likes this

It is possible to get into a 450 without a key.  I think Evilution has the instructions.

1 person likes this

Yes Evil has detailed break in instructions but only available if you have subscription.

21 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Yes Evil has detailed break in instructions but only available if you have subscription.

i'm going to subscribe.   i would like to help this guy out.  i think he tried a lock out company, but they probably want more than the car is worth. 

i'm just wondering if the interior handles still function when the doors are locked?  they must. it would be an awful safety issue if they didn't.   (i will have to try to lock myself in mine)...

5 years ago when I bought by 450; MB ordered 2 keys for me (2 blades, no fob) using my ownership. Took a week and cost $90.

1 person likes this

i only have one key for my 05.  i called the MB dealer here  (5 hours away),  they told me $400.00 for a key and then i have to take the car and my ownership papers to them to have the key coded.   lol

Cheaper to order a bunch on Ebay and new fobs, then drive here and get them done with the STAR....lol.  I have a bunch on their way as we speak. 

peel the window basc a bit...use a wedge and then grab the door handle 

a stiff wire coat hanger is probably the easiest 

Just now, LooseLugNuts said:

peel the window basc a bit...use a wedge and then grab the door handle 

a stiff wire coat hanger is probably the easiest 

The method on Evilution's site is a much better solution.

9 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

could be

but i dont believe in charging people for access so i never check that site

The charge for that site will be the best $10  you'll ever spend on your car.....the depth of knowledge posted there is out of this world.  Just saying.....they just do not chat, strictly an informational location.....excellent..!!!!

Edited by Willys

I also have an '05 with only one key fob.  At some point in the near future I am going to bite the bullet and invest in a second one.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Leadwing said:

You can buy fobs and blanks cheap off ebay      then go to someone with the key tech like a star and simply reprogram the fobs and then a key cutter can easily cut the blanks....it certainly isn't worth what the stealerships are asking. I bet I have less than $50 tied up in half a dozen blanks on their way.

1 person likes this

So what is the key fob programmed to? The SAM, key switch or the engine ecu?  

Seems the story changed a bit on this car now, I called the guy back last week to see how he fared out with getting the car unlocked to clean it out.   

seems it wasn't locked after all. (might have been frozen or just stiff). I asked what he was going to do with it.  

Now I own it. But I have the same problem. (no key). 

I'm not sure what to do now. (damn immobilizer) .

It's a base model pure. 

IMG_20181202_161704.jpg

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

if youre going to collect that many you might as well look into a star machine 

This one looks nice from a distance, but she's in bad shape. A lot of rust. I'm going to jump a battery to it tomorrow and see what kind of miles are on it.  

My other 3 are passions. This one has a different gear shift in it. What type of transmission does the pure's have?  

my 2005 hardtop pure only had the manual shift with no button (but it would autoshift if you let the rpms climb)

my 2005 cabrio pure had pushbutton on the shifter for optional auto mode

1 person likes this

Same transmission on all 450 Cdi models but, according to Evilution, the 2006 models have slightly different gear ratios. 

8 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

my 2005 hardtop pure only had the manual shift with no button (but it would autoshift if you let the rpms climb)

my 2005 cabrio pure had pushbutton on the shifter for optional auto mode

Here is a close up of the gear stick. 

So I guess it's a manual shift, and no button.

The knob is missing, someone had the console out trying to bypass the key switch.

IMG_20181202_161723_edit.jpg

Dear Santa  ......I've been a good little boy and rescued all these little cars, now all I need for Christmas is  a STAR Machine......lol

26 minutes ago, Willys said:

Dear Santa  ......I've been a good little boy and rescued all these little cars, now all I need for Christmas is  a STAR Machine......lol

lol,  it is on my wish list.   ill keep my fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, Sydney said:

Here is a close up of the gear stick. 

So I guess it's a manual shift, and no button.

The knob is missing, someone had the console out trying to bypass the key switch.

i just remember the regular one was round like a pool table ball....the one with auto option button on the side had a more comfortable formed shape to it