Willys

I found something....?????

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals....
When swaping my dashes and speaker systems from beater to summer car I found a grey box vecro'd to the side of the heater box under the dash. On the passenger side, by the heater control levers under the dash.  It's roughly 3X3 inches square and 1/2 inches deep.....with a made in canada sticker on it....doesn't say what it is or what it's for. The wires go into the main wiring harness...I had to stop messing with it due to back cramps....will take a pic of it tomorrow and post it up if someone doesn't offer a opinion on what it's for...?  I expected it to be something either MB installed when the car hit the shore or something another owner installed very very well, profesionally from the looks of it.  

Any ideas or is this something others have?    I know very vague at the moment but if it is something common I thought someone may already know what it is and culd shead some light onto it for me....?

My other find was the two different speaker systems used from the base model to a model with a better radio. The cheap model has tiny speakers simply screwed to the bottom of the dash where as the better model has speaker enclosures and tweeters with their own wiring harness that looks as if it can be simply plugged into the stock radio and might work, or will it require the STAR treatment...?   I did buy a cheap radio to get bluetooth capabilities...lets just say that's going back...lol. JUNK!

The other thing is this is the best time to seal the inside bottom edge of your windscreen IF that is a wish to do to help keep water out of your vehicle.....bags of room to operate a silicon gun that's for sure!

might be a tracker box

i find a lot of them in cars im scrapping...will have a sim card inside if its what i think it is...

original owner may have had a loan on it..the banks just eat the cost and usually dont bother removing them

on a side note please dont use silicone ...go to a carquest or a windshield shop and get a tube of urethane for your windshield

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Silicon is used on this glass as it already has a good stone chip in it so not too concerned with the milking of the glass....when i install a fresh windshield it'll get a healthy amount of goo, the correct goo to seal it in so no need for the added extra crap mentioned above...lol

Thanks for the tracker info...I thought it was a GPS of some sort but the bank reason didn't enter my dome...lol.   I wonder, can it be turned back on and used?   It could be a usefull tool...I use a SPOT when going on far away rides on my bike or used to to keep track of me if I ever did come off so they knew where to send meat wagon to fetch me from.   So wondering if thei could be used also?   They seem to hack anything now a days..?

if you found it in a 2005 model it will be old tech and not reusable

the old ones usually have an antenna wire running up to under dash near windshield

youd have to pay for the service anyway...plus it might only be available to certain people who are trained in privacy laws

windshields use urethane for strength...silicone might work for water seal but 10$ tube of urethane is much safer

Edited by LooseLugNuts

As silicone sealant cures it excretes water and, so I'm told, acetic acid.  These are trapped against the metalwork and can raise merry corrosion hell. 

4 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Fools only seal wind shields with silicone sealant. 

That's OK, tell me what you really think...lol

I'll worry about it when I need to.....it'll be just fine until then.  Nuff said....it's a beater for the winter and it'll last far longer than I expected it to...the rust on the floor boards is far more interesting than a bit of clear silicon imho....

As for that grey box, both cars have it and it's wired directly into the silver box at the passenger feet area. So it must be something they installed to them when they landed here. It has two wires coming from it, black and red....and has two plug ins about an inch long......? So it's staying where it is it's not hurting anyone yet....lol

unplug it and see what doesnt work ...i remember mine had a silver z box but i dont recall seeing anything else added in that area 

id guess maybe daytime lights module but i think they juts wired them to be on all the time

only other thing that comes to mind is seatbelt warnings or some other kind of warning buzzer box

Edited by LooseLugNuts

All CDIs in Canada had running light on all the time.  To turn them off just pull the turn signal stalk towards you like you flashing you high beams at someone and hit the unlock button on your key fob.  To reactivate them Same procedure but hit the lock button.  I turn mine off for the summer and back on in the winter. 

Haven't a clue to what your extra silver box is though.

Alan