Willys

Disabling the esp function...?

12 posts in this topic

OK, I am looking to turn off or control the ESP function for winter driving.....just to be able to turn wheels to get unstuck if it happens.  What is the best way to achomplish this? Can i use a on/off switch or does it have to be a momentary type switch as suggested over at Evilution?  I have simple on/off switches here at my disposal but no momentary switches.  
What is the general opinion on this topic also?  Is it harmfull to the electronics? Is this the mod that screws up the SCANGAUGE II readings?  I read somewhere that one mod done to the OBDII plug upsets the SCAN GAUGEII...just curious..?

Thanks

easiest way is buy an obd2 plug on ebay and you solder a wire to connect 2 wires...i cant remember which wires need jumping but its on this site because i made with instructions found here

it turns off esp and abs 

the only part i didnt like was that you needed to restart the car to get it back after removing the plug

Posted (edited) · Report post

it was pins pins #4 and #7 that needed to be jumped together

worked on my 2005 450 diesel....some people said it didnt work on theirs (but dont what they were driving)

here is the original thread i read before making mine

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I have wired in a momentary switch to those pins.  Only need to depress switch for a few seconds when I turn ignition on.  To get back to normal turn ignition off and wait about 45 seconds then turn ignition back on.

I've got an ESP disabling plug that fits the OBDII port.  Never used it.

Yeah that's it.  I'd sell mine for less if anyone wants it...but postage would be at least $10.

Hmmmmm.....why a momentary switch and not a on or off switch?  Wouldn't the paper clip method also keep the switch powered the entire time or is it suposed to be removed after jumping the pins?   Just curious is all.....thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

doesnt matter if its a switch or a jumper

once the system sees a fault it shuts off the esp/abs until the sam can reset itself...like Tolsen mentioned it takes about 45 seconds after key is off ...youll hear a relay click in the sam when it resets

momentary switch is much more convenient though if you figure youll use it alot...then you could just leave the unit plugged in

Edited by LooseLugNuts

OK, so the SAM resets itself after the key is off only and not on an on going basis then.   I just didn't want to overload the SAM if using a on off switch would continue to send a bad message to it and cause an issue over a momentary switch would send a single message and that would be it.....so all is good to use a on off type switch. 

Thanks

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, MikeT said:

Yeah that's it.  I'd sell mine for less if anyone wants it...but postage would be at least $10.

Sold!  To Mr. Sale!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

the sam can reset itself...like Tolsen mentioned it takes about 45 seconds after key is off ...youll hear a relay click in the sam when it resets

When you hear the click, wait for 5 seconds, then the computer resets.

1 person likes this