Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

What did they do.......and why...?

19 posts in this topic

I am curious what they did and why to get these cars to Canada....?

What was so needed that they had to change so much to get these cars "SAFE" for us dumb ass Canadians to be able to drive them?

That required them to install the front silver box of goodies it seems just us had to have..?   Now I find this smaller grey plastic box with two wires coming from it where it has the capability of pluging in two far larger plugs which aren't being used?

I'm curious.....Hmmmmm......???????

Changing the location of the indicators, I can see but that's a simple rewiring of two light fixtures ....simple...?

Daylight driving lights......

2 hours ago, Willys said:

Changing the location of the indicators,

Another case of anal retentive bureaucrats at the MTO because (they claim) the original location was mere millimeters too close to the headlights. :dunno: As if the very bright orange signals could not be seen when the headlights are on.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nope.  They all had skinny rims in Europe, except later pulse models and optionally on others.  Canada chose the skinnies so they didn't have to certify the emissions and fuel consumption twice.  In Europe the wider wheels added 0.1 L/100 km.  They would have here too.......

All standard passions and pulses in Europe came with the skinnies.

Edited by MikeT

Skinny fronts of varying thickness here, dependent on medal.  Helps with emissions based tax, and slim rubber helps keeps things manageable with no power steering.  T'is also said that they bring a dollop of understeer to keep the rear end tame, but I'm a police pursuit trained driver and driven properly they don't understeer at all, so I'm not convinced by that tale at all.

Edited by Chopper

yep i misread it

apparently the skinny rims to pass elk test story is for the 450 as a whole instead of just the canadian models

The amount of under steer at the limits from the skinny fronts is more than was really needed.  I much prefer the good weather handling with 4 tires the same size, ideally as wide as possible. 

ESP was added as well as staggered size wheels/tires after the elk test failure of the A Class.

What about all the extra secret magical boxes we got compared to the rest of the world...?   That's the question.....what do they do and why are we so special or incompetent we can't drive without this added feature or features.....AUGH....!    I wonder if there is a way to repair what they have done and get the vehicle back to where it was designed to be?   I'm sure we'd save what 2 pounds in wieght reductions...lol. Think of the added fuel economy we'll gain...?

What makes us Canadians so special that they think this was necessary...?

As for the thin tires and wheels for stabilty in their elk testing, why do we need this in the first place.....we have very few corners on our streets compared to the other side of the pond, where a straight stretch might be 100 yards long at best!   I'd have thought they would benefit more seeing as they actually need to use their steering wheels for more than hanging a purse on.....sorry ladies....lol  No choke pull cable so we must improvise I know...lol. I'm not that against the thinner wheels etc if they deliver far better fuel economy. They just look strange after seeing them for the first time....not to mention after buying the second set of tires compared to the larger sized tires being more plentifull and thus cheaper the dent in one's pocket book is out of proportion also.

Mercedes joined the bizarre bandwagon of having 1960s style taillights, with red indicators like all their newer USA and CDN models.  Beats me why.  Perhaps there is a regulatory reason for the dumbass taillights.

Canadian cars also need seatbelt warnings for the driver, door open warnings, and M-B Canada figured that they would need a fuel/water separator because our fuel is so poor and hence a light.  The E-Box does all that plus the taillight stuff.

DRL were an option on the European version, that's why they're able to be turned off.  M-B Canada probably figured if they didn't document the turning off and on process in the manual, no-one would figure it out.  Took a day before someone did.

Mine have run on 175/195 tires, which basically eliminates any understeer, but they look goofy no matter what you put them on.

Edited by MikeT

I'm trying to get a pic of one of the boxes Willys is talking about. I checked all 4 of my cars, they all have the box. It's a small grey plastic box with " made in Canada " on it. It's on the passenger side above the battery mounted to the air box. There is 2 plugs on the box, only one plug is used (there are only 2 wires going to it, red & black).

1 person likes this

IF you turn one into a parts car, or i get to the wreckers and get it for free, I'll open one up to see whats inside it.....after frying my ECU I'm not eager to open these electrical boxes anymore. Especially on a car I want to drive...lol.

As someone has stated maybe it's simply a buzzer for something?

Here is the box. Mabey it is just a buzzer. (would explain just the 2 wires). Mabey its a standard box for a lot of different cars, and that might explain the empty plug.

IMG_20181204_000211.jpg

2 hours ago, smart142 said:

You're right, its a buzzer.

oh...  well that's not very exciting.  lol

i was hoping that mabey if we unplugged it the immobilizer would be disconnected.  (one can wish)

1 person likes this

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎03 at 11:44 AM, MikeT said:

Nope.  They all had skinny rims in Europe, except later pulse models and optionally on others.  Canada chose the skinnies so they didn't have to certify the emissions and fuel consumption twice.  In Europe the wider wheels added 0.1 L/100 km.  They would have here too.......

All standard passions and pulses in Europe came with the skinnies.

And in Germany, the cdi actually came with even skinnier tires! 135 70 on a half inch smaller wheel! (I have a pair of those!! two 3.5" wheels with two 135 70 tires!)

I've got one with a 115/70-15 space saver on it.

Typo in my post above (not able to edit): all passions and pures came with skinnies in Europe.