tolsen

Alternator no longer charging

30 posts in this topic

For first three years staying here in Scotland, my wife and I had to report to the Aliens Office in Aberdeen once per year. I recall the Aliens Office had a large signboard saying “Aliens only”.

It should have said "Outlanders Only".

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

Just back after a test drive down to the pub. With electric heater on, headlights on and fan on full blast, charge voltage dropped after ten minutes down to 13.6 Volt. I assume that is normal but will keep an eye on charge voltage for a wee while. 

Nice to have a running Smart car again. Have been without any motor for thirty days. Have been riding my electric bike to go to work and used my free bus pass for longer travels.  Very generous of the Scottish government to provide free bus travel to an alien like me. 

Some newer cars drop the charging voltage to 13.8 or so once the battery is fully charged to reduce fuel usage so could be normal.

1 hour ago, MikeT said:

It should have said "Outlanders Only".

The Aliens Office still exists although there has been a much needed name change. Official name is now “Overseas Visitor Registration Office”.  Wonder if they have kept their “Aliens only” signboard at the entrance door?  

1 person likes this

Moving from Aliens back to alternators. 

This one is wired in star through diode rectifier plate. Each of the three 3 phase windings have paired connections to diode plate.