Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart65

Interesting suggestion for Tesla Model 3 production

6 posts in this topic

Borrowing from automotive history: Ford Model T's were commonly produced as a chassis only, with multiple coach builders completing each one independently. A recent article published by Jalopnik suggests that Tesla might similarly benefit from building its Model 3 as a chassis only, and contracting the body building to experts in the field,such as Mazda or Subaru.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-needs-subaru-or-maybe-mazda-to-succeed-1830782668  

Bodyshell designers who know what they're going!  I'd go to Pininfarina ;)

"doing" not going....stupid no edit rule....haha

Comparing a body on frame vehicle like the model T to a current unibody vehicle is a real stretch.  The Model 3 would have to be completely redesigned to do this.  GM had a concept platform that could accept different bodies, can not recall if it was EV or fuel cell based.

A rebadged Tesla as a Mazda or Subaru built in a Mazda or Subaru factory could be done but is not likely economically feasible for either of those two companies.

7 hours ago, MikeT said:

Bodyshell designers who know what they're doing!  I'd go to Pininfarina ;)

I think that the writer of the article was addressing Tesla's problem of producing cars without annoying body defects, rather than the basic design of the body. When I was in high school in 1955-60, I recall that GM cars still had badges proudly proclaiming "Body by Fisher".    

Yes.  Mazda and Tesla designs look pretty much the same to me.  Pininfarina could probably make an amazing design, and could build it too.

All carmakers are going to flexible platforms now.