brianhill

10 posts in this topic

Just purchased a s/h Smart Passion  Coupe  2003 Reg, and although I did due diligence pre purchase checks, after delivery when inspecting the floor battery compartment , I noticed that the floor mat (underneath) and the floor itself was wet - so clearly indicating a  water leak from somewhere

No doubt this has cropped up with other Smart users, so any advice as to how to location and plug/seal the leak would be appreciated 

Additionally, the handbook was missing, and I have drawn a blank on sourcing from the two well known websites 

My local Smart/Mercedes dealer cannot supply one  - and advice as to how to get one would also be appreciated 

Regards

Welcome to the site, you'll find all sorts of useful information here and very friendly folks willing to help.
I found the rear corner window seals leaked like a siv...lol. I simply cleaned them up and used everyone here's favorite silicon sealant and bingo, no more wet carpets. IF you allow dust to gather under the windshield inside it'll show you if the seal there has let go. There is a fast easy not recommended temporary solution for that also.....a small bead of sealant along the bottom edge where it's weaping......better fix is reseal entire windshield after it's been removed and cleaner and apply more correct sealant for windshields to make 1000% sure it's done right.  BUT, we all don't have time etc for that way so many use the small bead along bottom inside mating surface. Dust was the way I saw where it leaked I'm embarrassed to admit...lol.

Sorry for long post...again welcome.

2 hours ago, brianhill said:

Additionally, the handbook was missing, and I have drawn a blank on sourcing from the two well known websites 

My local Smart/Mercedes dealer cannot supply one  - and advice as to how to get one would also be appreciated 

First, welcome to the club site.

As for the missing handbook, you might try your local breakers (wreckers) ... Who knows, you may get lucky.  If you have any other questions, this is a very good place to get answers.  In Canada, the earliest smarts to arrive here were 2005's.  However, when asking questions, be sure to state whether the car is diesel or petrol.  The Canadian models are (for the most part) similar to the European models.

Another problem

The handbrake is jammed in the "up" position  - and I cannot release it 

Tried to rock the car by putting into forward and reverse - but no luck

Any fix advise appreciated - as cannot use the car 

Just yank with both hands and it should free from the ratchet.  Seized cables will not keep the ratchet on the lever high!  They may be seized but that's not why the lever's up.

5 hours ago, brianhill said:

The handbrake is jammed in the "up" position  - and I cannot release it 

Tried to rock the car by putting into forward and reverse - but no luck

Any fix advise appreciated - as cannot use the car 

If the car has been sitting for an extended period of time, the brakes might be seized.  Simply rocking the car may not be enough to break them free.  Mike T's suggestion should work if it is simply the cables.  If you determine that the cables are bad, replace them.  If the handbrake returns to the "down" position and the car still doesn't move, try disconnecting the cables from the rear brake drums and see if the car moves.  If it doesn't, then the brakes need to be freed up.  

1 person likes this

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, Leadwing said:

If the car has been sitting for an extended period of time, the brakes might be seized.  Simply rocking the car may not be enough to break them free.  Mike T's suggestion should work if it is simply the cables.  If you determine that the cables are bad, replace them.  If the handbrake returns to the "down" position and the car still doesn't move, try disconnecting the cables from the rear brake drums and see if the car moves.  If it doesn't, then the brakes need to be freed up.  

Please to say that the water leak came from a blocked drainhole 

Still unable to locate a handbook for 2003 model 

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, Leadwing said:

Thank you all

Hand brake now released - my garage repairer came out and fixed it