Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brianhill

Smart 2003 (UK)

5 posts in this topic

Recently purchased  s/h Smart Coupe - but no hand book

Unable to locate how to open the bonnet  (hood) in the front of the car to gain access to the washer bottle etc etc 

Any advice appreciated 

The bonnet doesn’t open.  There are two black grills between the bodywork and the glass.  Look closely and you will see a spot to insert a standard screwdriver or a coin and turn it a quarter turn and then the grill lifts out.  Then you can refill the washer bottle etc.  I believe some cars even had a pollen filter in there as well.

Nigel

1 person likes this

https://www.evilution.co.uk/

This is the best technical site for our cars, there is no chatting just excellent information. You will need to drop a very minimal cost, donation...maybe 10 pounds....you'll soon see it's worth ten times that by what you find there. It is a bit confusing at first finding your way around but after you get the hang of it.....well what can I say.  This site is the best chat/tech site I have found where you get actual human's to advise etc.....so don't forget us....lol
When you do get to evilution you "X" the cars you do not have in top left and then start searching for the information you require.  Like I said it'll take a bit to get used to it, but it's well worth the small donation.

As for your question there are two air grills just below your windshield....you'll find a slotted screw that you use your key to turn and that grill will open out by hinging at the bottom....you will find deep down a white corrigated hose attached to a clamp with a lid on it....this is your fill pipe. You can pull it up for easier filling but I find it easier to use a funnel at the same time ro not spill any fluid.  It's a simple cock up of a design if you ask me, but hey I didn't design the car...lol  I am going by my car a 2005 if you have a different model it may be different...?

1 person likes this