brianhill

Horn not working

14 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a used Smart car - Passion model 2003  - no handbook 

Presumably the horn is operated from the centre of the steering wheel, if so, it is not working on my car and it is illegal in England to drive without a functioning horn 

Is there a quick fix ?

Any advice appreciated 

If you are pressing on the light grey section of the wheel (marked with horn symbols) and not the airbag in the center, you may have an issue with the clock spring in the wheel.

There are two light grey pieces of plastic either side of the large round dark grey piece in the centre of the wheel 

Presumably one of these is the horn button ?

Regards

Horn is operated by a relay inside SAM unit. Get your ear yo against SAM. Check for relay clicking whilst pushing horn buttons. 

When I first got my smart I wanted a stronger manly horn, so bought one from auto parts place.....then it took me 1 hour to find the horn on my own! Another 2 hours to get my hands in to where it was and change it out!  If it is in the same place on your car the best way to get at it is to remove front skid plate not the front bumper/fender assembly. !!  Go figure. It's located above the righthand side of the steering rack attached to the framework. inconveniently hidden away where larger hands can't easily get to.  I'll bet you have green connections at the horn or the horn has finally given up the ghost.

Agree 110% with previous poster.  The connector to horn is unsealed hence open to the elements therefore prone to corrosion.  My 2002 Cabrio still has its original horn but I have recoated it twice and sealed connector in grease to keep corrosion at bay.

I was looking at replacing my horn because I hate that it isn't loud enough to be usefull.  If through some miracle of luck somebody does  hear it, they just laugh at the fact I am using a 60 year old vespa horn and ignore it.  Do you guys think I would be able to swap the stock horn out for something like a steble air horn or would I need to do other alterations prior?

Lonnie

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Thegorillabear said:

I was looking at replacing my horn because I hate that it isn't loud enough to be usefull.  If through some miracle of luck somebody does  hear it, they just laugh at the fact I am using a 60 year old vespa horn and ignore it.  Do you guys think I would be able to swap the stock horn out for something like a steble air horn or would I need to do other alterations prior?

Lonnie

There is plenty of room but no room for your hands etc to work where it is....like said above, simply relocate it by rerouting wiring and place behind the happy face grill.. The reason it took me so long was i couldn't pin point it's location easily behind all the bodywork etc.  It sounds like it's behind the light but nope, nowhere near it...lol.  So having the horn right out front would be excellent imho...but seal connections well with shrink tubing. Maybe some dielectric grease also?

I used a stebil on my bike, it was frig'in LOUD, excellent, but it died a fast death from road crap getting into the horn and compressor. Expensive also for it to die so quickly. I would get the cheaper air horns if you are going that route or simply use two normal hi and a low horn  combination....I have a low tone horn in the stock location..yes much louder but nothing like of it was facing forward behind the happy face grill..   Maybe next time....now i can get underneath it easier with the lift.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Thegorillabear said:

Lonnie

I bought a brand new pair of horns from princess auto for a total of less than $43. (now sounds like an older north American car .. really loud)   They aren't air horns but they certainly wake up the fatheads who pull stupid maneuvers near me.

1 person likes this