Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

Rust in Peace: 14 vehicles that won’t live on past 2018

9 posts in this topic

Hard to believe that ALL of these cars are gone all at once..... most with no replacement in the lineup.

Rust in Peace: 14 vehicles that won’t live on past 2018

A lot of good cars (and a few not-so-good ones) are being killed off this year, mostly due to – you guessed it – increased demand for SUVs and crossovers.

Most of these vehicles are passenger sedans, a result of countless consumers making the switch to cheaper and more capable SUVs.

Ford made big headlines earlier this year when it announced it would be killing off all its cars, save for the Mustang. And Chevrolet will also kill off many of its cars in the coming years to satisfy crossover demand instead.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/rust-in-peace-14-vehicles-that-wont-live-on-past-2018

The Fiesta was shyte anyway, at least the electrics and a few other bits.  No doubt their trucks are at least as bad.

Hmm...

Mike's been drinking a bit too much of the Haterade when he's behind the wheel of his Fiesta. ;)

I rolled over 231,000km the other day & still love my Fiesta. 

The only reason I'm getting a new car in the summer is because it's been tough finding a car that can meet or beat it in fuel economy on a regular basis & still be a decent driving experience until recently.

Back on topic, there was a lot of GM junk on that list which bloated their offerings.

Case in point, the Cruze & Impala!

My coworkers get stuck with them as rentals when we travel out east (I had the sense to adamantly refuse them).

In my short time driving them, as well riding as a passenger made me think that yeah - I could drive this on the daily - if only I hated driving & life in general that is.

I love how GM & Ford claim everyone's switching to pickup trucks & SUVs as the reason they're axing a lot of these models. 

Did the Japanese & Europeans not get this memo? I haven't heard of them ditching cars or shutting plants down.

As well, what happens in places like Oshawa where I'm sure a lot of their employees bought trucks & SUVs. What happens when they realize just how much it costs to drive them?

Eddie

The Fiesta's fuse/relay box under the hood is corroded ($1200) due to poor design - recalled in 2011 models -but not 2013 despite lots of Transport Canada complaints.....and it throws codes that puts the car into limp mode regularly.  The reverse gear jumps out once in every 10 times it's used.  The second ventilator fan speed failed and I had to change a component.  The trunk leaks water regularly and there is a biology experiment growing in the trunk lining.  A driveshaft seal failed (thankfully, under warranty).  It's been utter junk.  Can't wait to get rid of it.  It's in exile in Prince George with our youngest daughter right now and I will give it to one of the kids soon.

I think it's around 135K km so far.  When it works flawlessly, it is an OK car.  That's just not frequently enough :D

Hmm...

Yikes! Talk about bad luck. 

My first problem was in the summer of 2017 when my fan motor quit. Not bad considering I took delivery in 2010.

Just like my old smart, this will go to charity once I'm done with it.

What are you replacing yours with?

Eddie

Not replacing the Fiesta.  I'll give the smart BRABUS away too.  Then be down to two cars.  The now-restored 404C and for the moment, the 270,000 km B 200.  I expect to buy a new Peugeot in about 5-6 years, as a DD.

Thanks for the reality check, Rick, It's not really "now restored", I meant the body.  I have ordered some more Dynamat Xtreme to finish the interior soundproofing, a new gasket for the steering column (which has to go in with the column!) and a few other bits and pieces.  I will commission a new headliner soon and once it's in, the front and rear windows can go back in.

Victoria Transmissions will do a rebuild of the gearbox soon (I'll take it down in January)  - new bearings and seals is all I think it needs.  Then what will be left is the engine and upholstery.  Well see how far the money takes us in 2019.  ETA on the road is still 2020.