Toxophilite

ABS warning light

37 posts in this topic

My ABS warning light is on combined with the exclamation triangle.

i've read this can be the reductor rings which is something that I've never heard about before, However some research showed what they are

I guess I will check them for cracks

However I have not noticed any symptoms such as juddering or pulsing of the brake pedal or any difference in stopping etc.

I also disconnected my battery, the lights went off but as soon as a I backed out of my parking space they came on again

I have however hit some very nasty dips in the road to the lousy roadwork having been done down the road, the road is now like an obstacle course of potholes

4 hours ago, Toxophilite said:

I do have a code reader and I'm not getting codes on it

You have read ESP controller?

I forgot to say this is a 2005 CDI fortwo cabriolet

I have one of these (actually it's my brothers) It is a handheld unit.

It helped me diagnose my EGR problem

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Complete-OBDII-support-with-CAN-capability-CAN-OBDII-EOBD-Code-Readers-of-Scan-Tools/1034924825.html

and admittedly at this point I have only used it to check engine codes

i have just read the manual and while it does a surprising number of things I can't see anything related to ESP controller

Edited by Toxophilite

Well I visually inspected the rear reluctor rings and they seemed to have no cracks and looked intact. Initially I couldn't find them because I forgot they would be tiny!! The pictures I saw looked large haha

i used a bright light and rotated the wheels severa time to really check them out thoroughly.

i do have a slow leak in my right from tire That I check periodically. I was going to fix it I can't find the leak. i have to take it off and put it in a large rubber mad4e container full of soapy water.

It is not particularly low right now and has been an ongoing concern for the past few months with no lights coming on.

6 hours ago, Toxophilite said:

.i do have a slow leak in my right from tire That I check periodically.

Although I haven't used it on my smart, I have used it on other tires and it works!

I am referring to the liquid tire sealant in the plastic container that is stored in the foam footpad under the passenger seat carpet.

Remove the tire valve, inject the liquid into the tire, replace the valve, pump up the tire, drive the car to spread it around.

Yes, my car lost it's can of liquid sealant sometime before I acquired it. I'll probably buy another for emergencies. I took that wheel off and put it in a tub of water and low and behold it's leaking around the valve where it's seats into the rim. I'm going to take it back to the guys who installed the tire on the rim some months back and see what they say. You'd think they would've checked the tires prior to installing. It started leaking right away. I assumed it was the tires as they were used. If the leak was in the tread i would've repaired it myself.

I wonder what else could be causing the ABS light. Could it just be the light itself or a sensor is faulty. Does it indicate anything else?

As alloy wheels age they tend to leak around the bead and around valve. The cause is breakdown of paint and corrosion. Little chance tyre seal will seal such leaks. My cure is unmount tyre and clean rim. Invested £43 in a China walk around tyre changer and made home made tool that does not damage alloy rims. 

52-E49-FCD-0-E01-4714-9120-4-E8-C104-C37

Good value tool. Was only £43 including shipping all the way from China. 

E75-D00-CD-0305-4956-AB7-F-FDA3-E3-BFD5-

Black bar came with tyre changer. Stainless tool is home made. 

F4-EA20-B4-7-C14-4-FF8-BA2-B-350-AD30-BD

Nylon rollers and plastic piece cut off my wife’s best cutting board. She has not noticed a piece is missing yet. 

37-B4-FFA8-8470-4-A13-B5-B2-E0-E937-AC21

Aluminium roller guides bead of tyre over rim.  All welding done by TIG.  Made tool in June 2015. 

14-CE5319-8346-4245-809-E-C4-C6045-C31-B

Unmount end of tools. Mine has a nylon roller. 

That's a handy looking unit , I guess about $75 Can. That would pay for itself on one tire change.

Still trying to figure the ABS light thing

Are there front reluctor rings?

I was having a look but it seems to kind of enclosed

Edited by Toxophilite

The front rings are cast into the hub and don't crack.

The front reluctors do also crack if metal splash guard inboard of bearing has disintegrated. That is partly the reason why I replaced my metal splash guards with modified dishwasher proof soup plates. 

DSC03962.jpg

Note special stainless steel bolts and nuts. Fitting nuts for steering ball joint outboard as shown did not provide sufficient clearance so had to fit bolts the other way with nuts inboard. 

Port side shown. Used green plate on starboard side just like on ships. 

1 person likes this

Nice!

I noticed today my brake pedal seems to be higher and a fair bit stiffer, like when you redo your brakes and all of a sudden your pedal is up high again.

My ABS and ESP lights are still on

Another thing, perhaps unrelated. I left my tire valve cap on my folks driveway and asked my foather to have a look for it. He said he also found some ball bearings(just a few. If one of my front reluctor rings is unhappy would it have dumped loose ball bearings? Don't these things have sealed bearings?

I'm only asking because on the evilution site is was mentioning how to check the front reluctors, It was suggesting removing the wheel and said not to force it unless you like ballbearings...

I'm going to try and have a better look at the front wheels tomorrow

Edited by Toxophilite

Simply confirm if splash guards are intact on front and not too far gone and holed. 

DSC03960.jpg

A photo I shot some years ago in preparation for the Olympic Games. 

An original Smart pressed steel splash guard is flanked by my home made ones made from soup plates. Note stainless steel ring in their centres. The rings are required because these plastic soup plates would otherwise fail when tightening front bearing centre bolts. 

THe splash guards look good and entirely intact

I haven't removed the discs etc to actually look at the fr5onmt reluctiors?

Is it necessary?

My next step maybe will to try and find the ABS controller.