Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMARLAD

SMARLAD

5 posts in this topic

Well Hello Everyone, i`m brand new well perhaps not that new at 76 but i have just joined this fantastic forum on Smart Cars !

I did quite a bit of research and studying of these little cars before taking the plunge and spending a massive £300 on my 2004 Smart 450.

I bought it knowing it was trouble but i had room for it in my garage workshop because it is so tiny !

The previous owner was completely honest with me and explained that the car had covered 104000 miles and was smoking really badly and boy was it smoking ! but the bodywork and interior are just like new, so i went for it !

Having read a lot about removing the engine complete with subframe i thought i`d give it a go as it were ! Oh boy, first thing having jacked the car up as high as possible, No oil drain plug !!! what a stupid idea that is/was, so i looked on eBay and sure enough a new oil sump with a drain plug was obtained at quite a reasonable price, so sharp chisel and block hammer and the old oil was drained and the old sump in the scrap, a lot of stuff is well and truly missing from all the stuff i read about removing the subframe talk about a steep learning curve!

So eventually i got the subframe out on its wheels and started another mammoth task of dismantling all the gubbins  from the engine and removing the gearbox, Strewth ! i`ve never come across an engine with so many plug in sensors in my life.

Eventually i got this tiny engine on the workbench and commenced the strip down, meanwhile i managed to find a brand new timing chain kit all complete with new sprockets etc for £40 and a complete engine overhaul kit from Germany at £202.

Got the cylinder head overhauled by local engineers supplying my own new parts which included removing the pistons from the con rods and fitting the new ones, they blasted everything nice and clean in there degreaser.

The cylinders showed No ridge at the top as expected so well pleased with that so i honed all three cylinders inserted the new pistons and fitted new big end shells to the bottom ends, tightened up the bottom end and thats as far as ive got !!! Happy New Year EVERYONE,

cheers HARRY.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the club Smartlad! Nothing like diving right in I see. Happy New Year to you from all of us.

Welcome to the site, great to see more hands on owners getting in at the deep end....love it.