Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred J

Headlight Bulb

109 posts in this topic

just to prove a point to skeptics, i might just drive my other car with the lights on all the time, i'm sure they wont burn out before my smart ones. :) ah, why bother i know they wont.

As the debate of DRL`s continues, I have come up with an idea that I think will work for me anyways. The problem with just deactivating the DRL`s and using the part lights is I`m afraid my wife will never remember to turn on the park lights during the day and therefore compromise safety. But I also discovered on the weekend I have a bulb burned out already. So I switched the turn signals back to EU spot, and then proceded to use the factory foglight wiring to connect to the "canadian" turn signals, I powered these lights via the same input that activates the cigarette lighter, so that when the ignition is turned on the "new drl`s" turn on. After which I deactivated the lights to prevent premature bulb burnout, and I think I have my problem solved. You can use clear or amber, I left the amber ones in because they look nice at night with the full light package. The only question I have is, will the "canadian" turn signal lights handle the heat of the bulb being on all the time, I know the EU turn signal position will melt if the light is energized constantly, or you have to use a smaller wattage bulb, any idea`s?

Here`s a pic, sorry the flash went off and the lights do not look as bright.

post-110-1119870349.jpg

I'm afraid there is absolutely no way those would be effective enough for DRL to constitute a safety feature for other drivers. In heavy rain or even a dull day, you'd never see those.

Considering many people have now gotten their lights replaced under warranty, I wouldn't recommend messing around with them. Claim enough of them and maybe they'll figure out a good fix.

- Steve

In heavy rain or even a dull day, you'd never see those.

Don't be like most people and take the effort to put your headlights on in these conditions.

Yeah, cause that's gonna happen. By the definition of "most people", "most" of us that disable or change our DRL will forget "most" of the time.

:)

I actually meant most people around these parts... they think DRL are their headlights automatically coming on. I'm sure we've all seen it. I'd say that during bad weather, I only see about 20% of cars with their tail lights lit.

S-mack, have you seen how many vehicles are driving with drl`s that are simply front park lights set to the high setting, example most new minivans? This set up on the smart is the same, front park lights set on the high wattage setting, I think my problem is they may be just too bright at night, have a look just how bright your signal light is when you turn it on, I disagree with the idea it`s not bright enough, but I do agree with the lights on in the rain, not enough people turn their lights on, but in my opinion it`s to be seen from the rear, your drl`s take care of the front.

Hmm.. yeah, good point.

I didn't think that through, did I? Yeah, its the rears that really need turning on in the rain.

Lol - I'm messing up on this thread! Ok, forget me! I'm thinking of a situation that requires full lighting and many people simply don't turn it on.

Why aren't DRL full lights? I'd think it might be best to default to all on and then have an override for situations that it is a detriment. You know... have a "fog" setting that turns off the head lights, turn on the fogs (rears stay on). a "Heist" setting that turns off the rears and allows manual control of the fronts for day/night. Things like that.

- Steve

I agree 100% s_mack, more control would be great, although I doubt were going to get it from the automakers, but that`s not to say we can`t make it, ie. some misterdotcom modes!

Scott

True enough! Have a little dial on a panel that goes from "Here comes the sun!" to "Kill the lights, we got a withdrawl to make".

- Steve

I found some very cool material at Princess Auto. Its a loo about 24' wide and is made for tool box shelf liners and stuff. It's a tight=loop black carpeting type material with a foam back. And the beauty is that it has a peel-and-stick backing.

I've just cut a pice of this to the shape of the engine cover and stuck it on the top side of the cover - the bottom already has some foam sound attenuation. The idea is to cut down on transmission of motor noise into the passenger compartment. It seems to work swell!

Could even be used in other places, I guess...

Bil:)

See: http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountry.cfm?...F=loc&SPC=1

The default smart turn bulbs in the front will over heat themselves if left on all the time.

Why do I say this? They are dual filament bulbs and BOTH filaments are on! This will put out too much heat and the bulb will die pretty fast.

Hey Kids!

Here's my virgin post...

I need to replace my passenger side headlight but can't seem to get the cap off the back (I am going through the vent and therefore going by feel). I have been reading through all the posts and can't find any pictures or instructions. Am I not looking hard enough? My eyes are burning I've been on here so long! I could have driven to Canadian Tire to buy the Torx screwdriver required by now to get the front panel off. Oh well... any help would be appreciated.

I'll do a little intro later... Thanks!

Welcome!

I would have sworn that we had photos of the back side of a lamp somewhere....

Wonderfrul. That is very helpful. Thank you. Is there a picture flying around with what it looks like before the black cap is removed? Apparrently there is some tab I need to push on in order to get the black cap off and I can't figure out where the "tab" is... :puppy:

I can't find the photo, but it's like a long-ish lever attached to the black cap....

Wonderfrul. That is very helpful. Thank you. Is there a picture flying around with what it looks like before the black cap is removed? Apparrently there is some tab I need to push on in order to get the black cap off and I can't figure out where the "tab" is... :puppy:

Tab is nearest to you. Get an inspection mirror like Eddie^3 said. It'll save you a tonne of grief!

Black cap... anyone got a picture of the above-mentioned black cap? $1 to the paypal account of the first person to post a picture of the black cap I'm looking for...

So I should save my dollar and buy the mirror? Well until tomorrow when I'm at the store, my offer still stands!

So I should save my dollar and buy the mirror? Well until tomorrow when I'm at the store, my offer still stands!

Yes. Buy the mirror. Duck posted an awesome series of pictures IIRC. Cannot spend 20 minutes looking for it for $1 ;)

S-mack, have you seen how many vehicles are driving with drl`s that are simply front park lights set to the high setting, example most new minivans?

Ya know....., I'm surprised nobody has modified their car by moving the turn signals back into the headlight cluster (which a lot of people have done), then disabling the DRL's (which a lot of people have done), then putting clear bulbs in the "Canadian" turn signal location and wiring them to go on with the key (which nobody appears to have done). Seems like they should work OK as DRL's, and would be very easy to hook up I think. (a normally closed relay with switched +12 to feed the lights, then wire up the control side of the relay so it opens when the headlights are on. Result="DRL's" which are the Canadian turn signal lights which go off when you turn on the headlights.)

I already have fog lights, so can't quite do this, though have thought about just using the fogs as the DRL's just like Audi does.

Later!

Dang

That's almost exactly what I plan on doing! Except I figure to just leave the lights in the grille (new DRLs) stay on all the time the when the car is on; not bother to turn off when the headlights come on. And I haven't fully decided which colour they should be.

I got FastEddy to give me an estimate to do several things like this and one day I'm going to call him up and book an appointment... :sun: