mikey27

Tuning/remap options

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Just picked up a 06 CDI (Canadian), I'm totally new to the platform, but I've been cruising the forums for a few days trying to soak up so knowledge. 

I'm no stranger to tuning, I've done everything from megasquirt to sct, and am using cobb a lot currently. 

I'd like to tune my smart, but I can't seem to find real tuning software, as most people are just flashing maps. 

I'd like to order the hardware I'm going to need, and from what I can gather it's a KWP2000 plus interface. But I have seen other devices being used too. 

So my question is, what is the preferred hardware to use at this point in time? 

What software is used for editing maps? 

Thanks 

Is this a gas or diesel? .......... It makes a difference. 

If it's a diesel, "Uncle Glenn" in London does remapping which makes a huge difference in performance, 

Other than engine swapping to something larger or more highly tuned, changing actual mechanical bits can get costly depending on how far you are willing to go.  This can also result in less reliability.

1 hour ago, Leadwing said:

Is this a gas or diesel? .......... It makes a difference. 

If it's a diesel, "Uncle Glenn" in London does remapping which makes a huge difference in performance, 

Other than engine swapping to something larger or more highly tuned, changing actual mechanical bits can get costly depending on how far you are willing to go.  This can also result in less reliability.

06 CDI (diesel). 

I have little interest in having someone else change maps on my car. I would rather set myself up with the tools to do so. 

I don't plan to do any physical modifications aside from replacing the stock exhaust system and deleting the egr. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just an observation from the end results of changing nozzles on my 05 beater......WOW...!!!!   Contact Mender if you wish a set, not cheap but far less than new injectors..  Yes i would say it also has a remap of some sort but the difference from before to after is very very noticable.  Changing out the exhaust I can't see the difference if you simply gut the cat out it has a very breathable muffler and is quiet.....I just don't see it being that beneficial power wise on this small 3 banger. The EGR removal, OK increases flow nicely I expect as that too is done on my beater along with gutted exhaust. You'll just need emulator installed to keep computer happy....contact Stickman007 if you can't do it yourself.  He makes a beautiful tiny version....mine is cigarette sized....lol...so I have an order in.  
I'm a sick puppy when it comes to modding cars etc, can't leave anything alone....but, there is only so much to be gained here...?  The ballance between HP gains to loss of fuel milages, just didn't make it worth it for me personally.  
To each their own as usual and I'll be all ears to hear what you have figured out....you never know...lol
There are threads here and on Evilution about programing systems to remap your car....but forgotten where they are as I haven't the skills.

Edited by Willys

Willys,  i would like more info on the nozzles,   can you shoot me a PM.  i dont want to tie up this forum.   tks.

1 person likes this