flaregreen

code reader

26 posts in this topic

As stated above, ScanGaugeII is the one of choice as it allows far more than just reading codes.  One of my favorite features is fuel consumption as you drive displayed.....it is what drives me to keep striving for better MPGs constantly.....I can easily average close to the 80MPGs  range....simply by watching this simple unit. It does so much more, but this is what I watch constantly.  Once bitten by the MPG bug you will strive for it.....lol...beware......   The unit isn't the most inexpensive unit out there but it is the most common for our vehicles.

ive never used a scangauge

for smarts my tool of choice was a chinese Delphi DS150e VCI snooper

Agree fully with previous poster. Scangauge is real shite. 

I like the scangauge when I do test drives. The MAP is a good indicator of turbo function and you can check the charging system and the water temp - very handy!

1 person likes this

for test drives and simple things my daily use tool is a cheap autel ms609

but the delphi is great for airbag codes and reading the brake modules and deeper things the autel couldnt get from a smart

I also sometimes carry an Autel code reader capable of reading all systems when venturing far. 

someone might want to refresh us.   when ordering a scanguage 2,  is there a certain cord that has to be ordered with it also?

i remember seeing a post a while ago.

Non-CAN cable, Linear Logic will send one for free.

What about a bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque Pro?

I use this for the big 6.0L and it has a lot of useful information to monitor. I had it running on the smart for a day or so.. having connection issues now... so I assume the SMART doesn't like the dongle maybe?? 

Any info on this?

depends what it can do

personally i say its a waste of money if it doesnt specifically communicate with all the modules

reading generic engine codes and keeping track of mileage is one thing...reading/erasing airbag codes and abs module codes and programming key fobs are what make a good tool a good tool

1 person likes this

On 2/1/2019 at 0:34 PM, LooseLugNuts said:

ive never used a scangauge

for smarts my tool of choice was a chinese Delphi DS150e VCI snooper

So I just received my chinese Delphi DS150e VCI snooper, ordered based on this advice. I inserted the DVD and got an immediate message from Norton about a Trojan virus. 

Any suggestions?

a key generator will always set off antivirus

its stolen/borrowed software that you activate with a key generator

disconnect from internet too while activating and do not update online

check youtube

i remember videos made it easier for me to install when i was trying to figure it out

1 person likes this

Thanks, I'm a little nervous about things that tell me to turn off protective things so it can take over!

I'd be installing it on an older unused PC as so not to risk your daily PC....just to be 100% safe....

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay, made it partway through the final step as shown at 8:03 but had a fatal error on initialization? before it finished that step. The bar was about 3/4 of the way across.

Activation was OK. Internet is off (other computer). Not sure I got Norton shut off but I think so.

Went back and erased the application data file as requested and started over. Same error. Suggestions?

Edited by mender

remove everything and start again

maybe you buggered some file the first time by not turning off antivirus

just a guess though

I think wiping clean and rebuilding the lap top is the only way. 

Perhaps first try setting back to an earlier time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Took it to my local computer guy (who's also a friend), he said that the key generator apparently installed some chinese malware and advised me not to use the device.

Anybody else have issues? Any problems with the vehicle after scanning, etc?

Edited by mender

What keys are you trying to generate, actual recoding of ign keys? Or getting the radio codes?  I can recode ign keys using my Star and they work perfectly....so far on my vehicle.  I did try and get the radio code using  the chinese gizmo and it gave me the initial code to then send to someone with the next step to get the actual code to unlock the radio. I couldn't get the second stage to work or loading that program and getting it to work, so i gave up. If you are a supporter of Evilution  and ask nicely to the owner of the site he will do the second stage for you. That is how I got the final code.....Also Tolsen 's second attempt gave me the same number  using his program......which was great also. I now think it better to simply replace radio with a modern version with more up to date options such as blue tooth and USB and AUX plug ins.
But the STAR does ign keys easily.....

2 hours ago, mender said:

Anybody else have issues? Any problems with the vehicle after scanning, etc?

no problems here ..ive used it many times on the same laptop im using right now

only thing i find annoying is once in a while i have to go thru the activation process again because it deactivates itself on occasion..i just guess maybe once in a while it connects itself to the web and then of course fails at updating because its blacklisted copy  

and i remember having a really hard time getting the key generator to work on this computer..other than that it worked just fine.....

the wow wurth snooper is very similar but i didnt use that one as much as the delphi