Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart sales in Canada and the USA 2019

31 posts in this topic

January 2019: 

Canada: 19

USA: 83

I wonder what their sales would be like IF they reintroduced the CDI back into the flock...?

Posted (edited) · Report post

The CDI was discontinued for North America in 2006 because it didn’t meet emissions standards. To make it comply would have required significant re-engineering of the engine to add urea injection, which would have been too costly in a car like the smart, if they could even make it fit in the tiny engine bay. 

Diesel engines in passenger cars in North America are all but dead after just about every company offering them was caught cheating on emissions testing. The R&D money they would have spent on trying to clean up diesels for passenger cars is being re-allocated to hybrid and electric propulsion. 

Edited by darren
2 people like this

Keep in mind, there was no diesel option for the 453 smart in any market, and next year the 453 will be electric only in all markets. :)

2 people like this

And if I may predict, the 453 will be the last of the smarts and Hambach will become only an EQ Mercedes plant in relatively short order.  The 453 has lost its market worldwide and most car companies are abandoning superminis, not to mention microcars.

1 person likes this

All the more reason to keep the ones we have running, for as long as humanly possible.

Emissions....lol....the whole issue is a joke.  Until the whole planet is on board it's a lost cause. imho...like it or not...one badly adjusted gravel truck spewing out black smoke is enough to off set any smart car for it's entire lifespan....and I see enough of those trucks daily.  It's a shame the few get abused by the many in this regard.

1 person likes this

A little research shows a Tesla costs $0.03/km in electricity at $0.12/kWh, about 30% cheaper than a Smart car at $1.16/litre.

I didn't pay $75,000 for my Smart car.

1 person likes this

Mainstream electric vehicles will come in between $30k and $40k. Tesla is still a luxury brand. 

1 person likes this

Maybe so but without useful distance ranges....Tesla is the only viable solution for an electric vehicle that can satisfy the masses except for price.  And I bet it won't happen for another decade.

BC is going to put most of the new car dealerships in the province out of business by 2040 by demanding that only electric vehicles be sold. People wanting cars and trucks that can actually get through the mountains will have to buy out-of-province, and I imagine BC will add draconian laws to try and prevent that.

But that's probably okay, by then the only people living in the province will be in Vancouver

On 2/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, darren said:

The CDI was discontinued for North America in 2006 because it didn’t meet emissions standards. To make it comply would have required significant re-engineering of the engine to add urea injection, which would have been too costly in a car like the smart, if they could even make it fit in the tiny engine bay. 

Diesel engines in passenger cars in North America are all but dead after just about every company offering them was caught cheating on emissions testing. The R&D money they would have spent on trying to clean up diesels for passenger cars is being re-allocated to hybrid and electric propulsion. 

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4151761-u-s-light-diesel-market-grow-168-percent-2018-another-86-percent-2019

For those who don't want to read the whole article:

"It turns out that in the real world, outside Europe, outside Washington, D.C., and outside California's quest to force people to buy electric cars, the reality is quite different. It doesn't get a lot of media attention, because it doesn't fit the politically correct narrative, and the beneficiaries aren't all of these new and sexy startup automakers."

Also, looks like other passenger car manufacturers will step in to fill the void left by the Germans. 

Edited by mender
1 person likes this

Personally my initial interest in the Smart car was to replace my motorcycle as a toy. I also hated the idea of diesel vehicles simply due to their smell. I grew up on a farm where diesel was used, also later in life worked at a trucking company who during the winter months kept their trucks inside the shop and every morning they pumped out more smoke that negates any emissions all small diesel cars could possibly produce in their lifetimes. The smoke was so thick the only breathable air was at the 3 foot level!! 
So I wasn't at all drawn to these cars for any of their positive attributes I love them for now. They were simply a novelty item, a toy. BUT, now I see them as a deffinate positive way to solve the fuel issue we are facing. Sure only in a small way but still a positive way. I can not get past the idea that we can get around 80 mpgs easily if driven sensibly. And even 60mpgs if driven 10-20 kmph over the speed limits....it's rediculous that they are being forced off the market simply because of a slight over the emission level regulation. There isn't another vehicle that comes close to these numbers.....and please don't add into the grouping any prius type vehicles....they are in a category of their own. Same goes for full on electric vehicles. IMHO there is no viable vehicle to stand with these CDI smarts.  They are a victim of idiotic regulations simply to force another agenda onto the public.  You can hate them or love them but electric vehicles just can't compare to the smart yet for usability capabilities.  Yes i will admit the Tesla beats them, but at what cost?  IF the Tesla was at equal costs then I say scrap the Smart CDI but it can't come close.....nowhere near it.  I still see the Smart as a novelty type vehicle for the average person simply due to it's size. BUT, if you simply need a commuting type vehicle for yourself or two people then why not have one? Even for longer distances such as what my wife drives each and every day back and forth to work. 1 1/2 hours of mostly congestion free driving each way! That is a lot of fuel savings.  Does she use my smart...nope...she drive an SUV gobbling up fuel like the rest of the commuters do.  Insane!  Micro cars are the future, whatever fuels they run on. They need to be pushed far harder than what they are by the bodies that be are doing, instead of getting rid of them due to slight emissions overages. They should be incouraged to replace the SUVs imho. How many single occupancy SUVs or pick up truck, mini vans, etc do you see thundering down the highways each day ...? My wife is one of them!...lol. Why not..?

And besides, think of all the advancements that would be made we could benefit from if they did....I say lets get the ball rolling....I need more R/D for these little engines...lol.

We bought the Smart car for my wife to use now that our kids are out of the house. I'm now driving her ML320 since my shop is only 1.3 kms from my house, and the school that she teaches at is 16 kms. I figure we're saving about $0.10/km so should be about $10,000 less fuel cost per 100,000 kms.

I just went through the engine so am expecting to get at least 200,000 kms out of it.

1 person likes this

Diesel light trucks and SUVs are not classified as passenger cars from a safety of emissions standpoint. They can get away with diesel much more readily in those segments. 

The fact remains that diesel particulate matter is a known carcinogen, and many European cities have already banned diesels from their city centres. 

I loved my CDI, but I don’t think I’d buy another diesel. 

Edited by darren
1 person likes this

February 2019:

Canada: 15

USA: 58

That rate is under 1000 cars/year for all of North America.  The jig is up, it seems.

1 person likes this

Time to completely rebuild the two CDI's I own now so I have one for the rest of my days then....I won't be without my 80 MPG machine....They can't tax diesel enough to stop me from using it either....at less than $20 to fill her....I'd even switch to Chip Fat and run that before buying another gas guzzler!  OR anything electric that didn't get 500kms per charge and didn't cost me both balls and a leg to buy...!!!!

The current higher cost of the electric drive train is almost entirely in the battery pack.

Tesla has led the reductions in price and is on a trajectory to bring affordability, right now, it's still upper premium priced, but the "S" technology curve is absolutely on target to get us into EV's in the next 5 - 8 years.

We drive a Tesla and a Smart ED.   5 years with no gas.  True the Tesla was pricey (even though we bought it lightly used), it's 4 year ownership cost including fuel and depreciation is on par with the previous German brand SUV we traded in for it.

I cannot fathom recommending a Smart to anyone I know, it's a fabulous daily commuter, but is entirely too niche and funky for most.

My wife loves it, but she too thought I was crazy for buying my first 2013 Smart ED, and yet she was enthusiastic for me to upgrade to the newer 2018 Smart ED, so first opinion is absolutely a massive inhibitor to sales, but personal experience makes up for it eventually.

8 hours ago, SmartElectric said:

True the Tesla was pricey (even though we bought it lightly used), it's 4 year ownership cost including fuel and depreciation is on par with the previous German brand SUV we traded in for it.

Really?  You have saved no money on running and depreciation costs compared to a German SUV?  That's shocking, because German cars generally depreciate like rocks and they guzzle fuel too.

Moving the manufacturing of smarts from France to China will reduce costs immensely. However, that brings with it the additional human rights and environmental costs that come with Chinese manufacturing. 

You can't have your cake and eat it too....you either want the car or the small cost of manufacturing....and IF you think for a second those countries give a hoot about the environment when it comes to manufacturing, I have some swamp land in florida to sell you...lol.
The amount of damages they cause doing almost anything is incredible and we get hosed for cleaning up the environment constantly at every turn.....they need to concentrate on the people who are causing the problems before crippling us and taxing us into the poor house.

The cost of getting the materials to build these electric vehicles isn't small either.......so the benefits aren't as clear cut as people make it out to be.

But hey....it seems it's the way we are going.....lets just get a level playing field when it comes to taxing the ones who aren't the ones that are doing the most damages.

I still say there are plenty of engines that are capable of working that create less emisions, it's just we don't know about them or they have been shelved to keep the industry a float. 

March 2019:

Canada: 11

USA: 90

I bet they sell more Lambo's etc than smarts...lol

May 2019:

Canada: 82

USA: 106

Now that they've bailed, sales have slightly picked up ;)