velouria

2005 Smart CGR Valve issues

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

From what I gather from reading on here, the issue I am currently having with my 2005 Smart could be a clogged CGR valve.  I also drive like a granny, all city driving, and haven't been redlining it as suggested to blow it out.  This car has sentimental value as I inherited it from my dad and he received his new Smart Car on the day my eldest child was born, in 2004.  So she's had a lot of family history, but now I've just put in a thousand dollar struts/spring repair, new battery, and last year new alternator.  So she's getting costly, but only has 150000 kms and I would like to see if I could get a few more.  My question is, has anyone had any luck with fuel additives, someone suggested Mulligan's diesel fuel conditioner, but I see the company in Canada just filed for receivership.  Someone else had luck with biodiesel to clean out the gunk, but I have no clue where I could even buy any in Canada and I'd likely burn down the house making it.  The repair posted on here is far out of my realm, as you know these engines are difficult to access, and looks quite involved.  It's obviously winter now, the check engine light is intermittently on, then goes into limp mode.  When the light is off the power is fine, but has been more on then off lately.  I hope this isn't the whole turbo exhaust unit needing fixing, because I would have to scrap her.  Anyone have any ideas?

If it took 150K for the EGR to clog, you're doing well.  (I went 247,000 km on one.)  The 2005 models had an early EGR that's a bit more prone to clogging.  Either way you will have to clean it out or replace it.  The diesels suffer from short trips and ideally every drive should be over 20 km.

27 minutes ago, MikeT said:

If it took 150K for the EGR to clog, you're doing well.  (I went 247,000 km on one.)  The 2005 models had an early EGR that's a bit more prone to clogging.  Either way you will have to clean it out or replace it.  The diesels suffer from short trips and ideally every drive should be over 20 km.

Thanks for the reply MikeT, and sorry, EGR valve, I am going cross eyed reading these posts lol!  Is the in situ repair for this valve really hard?  Do you think my husband and I could manage it, he's somewhat mechanical.  My Suzuki is in the shop atm with a blown rad and can't fork out a grand or more, plus we live really far from the dealer.

It's not that massive of a job but to get it done right imho it needs to come off and soaked well in the solvent of your choosing. The build up usually is pretty solid and required hours of picking at, brushing, and simply washing well to get it good and clean so it operates perfectly again.  Again it's not that bad of a job compared to many, but still a pain. Especially during the winter, go for it....it builds character so i'm told....lol.

16 minutes ago, Willys said:

It's not that massive of a job but to get it done right imho it needs to come off and soaked well in the solvent of your choosing. The build up usually is pretty solid and required hours of picking at, brushing, and simply washing well to get it good and clean so it operates perfectly again.  Again it's not that bad of a job compared to many, but still a pain. Especially during the winter, go for it....it builds character so i'm told....lol.

Thanks Willys, I really appreciate your input!  A shop would likely charge 3 hours for this no?

5 hours ago, velouria said:

Someone else had luck with biodiesel to clean out the gunk, but I have no clue where I could even buy any in Canada and I'd likely burn down the house making it.  .......  It's obviously winter now, the check engine light is intermittently on, then goes into limp mode.  When the light is off the power is fine, but has been more on then off lately.  I hope this isn't the whole turbo exhaust unit needing fixing, because I would have to scrap her.  Anyone have any ideas?

Just a suggestion ... Shell and many other diesel suppliers include up to 5% biodiesel in their fuel at the pumps.  (there should be a small sticker alerting people to this on the pump)   As for the additives, some people swear by it.  Adding the recommended amount to the tank every second fill-up.  Personally, I don't use diesel additives, but my driving habits lean toward spending a lot of time on major and secondary highways.  Driving on the secondary highways, I tend to leave it in 5th gear and let the engine turn over freely rather than 6th which makes it "lug" or work harder.   

A check engine light could be caused by many things.  The way you described it, ("When the light is off the power is fine"), it fits the same issue I had with my '05.  It turned out to be a slight over-boost in the turbo. "Uncle Glenn" in London made the adjustment and it has been good ever since.  PMing him to make an appointment to check it out would be worth the drive.  He is a lot less costly than MB or most mechanics and usually does the job in less time, since diesel smarts is all he works on. 

1 person likes this

I also suggest talking to Uncle Glenn.  As said he is much cheaper than the dealer and often works on the weekend if that works better for you.  He also is quite willing to show you how to maintain your car yourself.  By the way welcome to the club.

Nigel

Glenn is the go to guy for your Smart issues IMHO.....he knows his stuff and has the years of experience to do the job well.

I also use diesel additive every second tank to help keep my engine running well. I am not a believer in a mechanic in a can  mentality, BUT, it works...!  I wasn't getting excellent MPGs when i first bought my car....no fault of the car etc really or the previous owner....I just thought I would try it and see....after a few tank fulls with the cleaner in it, my MPGs started rising.......I now can easily get 80 MPGs if I drive close to the speed limits and not race up to speed. Now I use the conditioner to keep everything clean and fresh. How can you not like the sound of 80 MPGs...lol.  To each their own  on this subject and as i said I do not believe in the idea that a can of chemicals can and will fix a mechanical issue, but it can help keep things running as they should.  IMHO...all mechanical issues must first be repaired mechanically and then maintained by whatever means accomplishes it. I buy my conditioner at canadian tire in a half gallon jug simply to get better value. It states 50 ml per tank full.....every other tank that is. So it takes a while to eat thought it. So a cheap insurance type thing. Sorry can't off the top remember the name of it, but it's in a silver jug with black and red labeling.

Again do not take your car to the dealer if you can avoid it when there are people around like Glenn who can and will do the same level of work for half the price if not less.   He has all the diagnostic tools etc to sort anything out.

1 hour ago, Willys said:

......  there are people around like Glenn who can and will do the same level of work for half the price if not less. 

Actually, Glenn does the work better than most MB $tealerships.  He will also try to fix an issue rather than throw parts at it until the issue goes away (All MB service techs seem to just keep replacing things that cost big bucks until problems disappear instead of just re-soldering a broken wire or solving the issue.)

1 person likes this

Thank you to Leadwing, Willys and Nigel for recommending Glenn to me!!  This is wonderful news, and so close to where I live, which is near nothing!!  I will definitely be arranging a date with Glenn as soon as this horrible ice storm weather passes.  I am so relieved that it is a solvable problem because I know that everytime dad had to go in for an A or B service he alluded to how far he had to bend over lol!  God I miss Dad, I have never detailed the Smart Car because it still smells like him, believe it or not he used it as his work vehicle and had all his wooden stakes and signs for his real estate company in it with a sledge.  Amazing the emotional connection we can develop for these cars!

1 person likes this

So nice to meet you Smart142, and thank you so much for all the extra care and attention bestowed upon my old girl!  I thoroughly enjoyed going over all the little eccentricities on her that likely would have cost me my first born at any MB dealer.  Hope to come visit again in the spring!

2 hours ago, velouria said:

Hope to come visit again in the spring!

Feel free to join us anytime at one of our monthly meetings ( generally held on the first Tuesday of each month ).  It is an informal affair with fellow 'smarties' getting together and enjoying an evening with food and chat.  In the warmer weather, we will often go little runs before ( or after ) the food. 

1 person likes this

Thank you for the invite, I would love to join you kind folks.  Please let me know the locations and times.  

You can find The monthly locations by going to the forums ... scroll down until you come to "Southern Ontario" and click on it to open that.  Look for something that usually starts with the day and date like this one.

Hope to see you out at some of the meets :)

1 person likes this

I used kleenflo additive usually every second tank

if you just poke a small hole in the foil seal you can squirt it in without needing a funnel

11MC66_AS01?$mdmain$

1 person likes this

Thanks for the tip, greatly appreciated!

On 3/2/2019 at 11:49 PM, Leadwing said:

Feel free to join us anytime at one of our monthly meetings ( generally held on the first Tuesday of each month ).  It is an informal affair with fellow 'smarties' getting together and enjoying an evening with food and chat.  In the warmer weather, we will often go little runs before ( or after ) the food. 

IMHO.....only add the amount recommended by manufacturer......more isn't always the best method.......just saying....the mechanic in a can I use states 48ml per tank for a smart by volume......which is very little when you actually see it in a container. I bought small bottles from the dollar store to carry a few doses around with me in the car ready.....you could easily splash double this amount into the tank if you weren't careful.  Will it destroy anything...maybe not, but why risk it? Once or twice never but many times maybe so..?   I'm not risking it to find out.   I have destroyed carbs by using too much chemicals trying to clean them. it takes so much out the clearances are then far too great for it to work correctly again.  The gum is holding the mechanics together in some cases. To each their own, just saying.  Those little bottles are 3 or 5 for a buck!  They hold far more than what is needed so they work great....