Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

London Ontario to Sydney Nova Scotia in FEBRUARY!!!!

18 posts in this topic

Why you might ask?  Well I won tickets to the tournament of hearts being played in Sydney.

You might remember that 2 years ago Liz and I drove out to see the men play in St. John Newfoundland.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/30752-the-trip-to-newfoundland/#comment-346872

In fact we left on Wed and are now in Nova Scotia and will see the opening ceremony tomorrow.

Of course we drove an 06 diesel smart and spent $122 in fuel to get here! We were lucky and had dry roads except for a short stint of very light snow today.

The little smart has served us well!!!

4 people like this

At least you don't have to use the ferry to cross into Nfld. this time.

Enjoy the tournament  ... See you in a few weeks.

Yes the return ferry ride from Newfoundland was ONE too many haha!!!!

This time we pushed right through - 2 10 hr days behind the wheel! Relatively easy!

OK, we need to see you both in the stands.  Shouting “Yay London!” at quiet, critical points in the games could work.

Wearing reflective or lighted jackets might work also.

Mabe yell “Softer!, Softer!” When the curlers are shouting “Harder!, Harder!”.

If you’ve got a laser pointer with you, aim at the cameras.  Watch out for the players.

And there’s always streaking..... but not you Glenn.  I doubt you could keep up with Liz.

You might have some creative ideas of your own to be noticed and ‘stand out in the crowd’.

If I see you, I’ll wave back, ok? :)

Hey, we were spotted already and didn't have to do anything outrageous haha!!!!

Yes sir. Till Sunday. Give me a call or text 519-933-6513

1 person likes this

Maybe he has his STAR on board...lol....sorry....lol

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Willys said:

Maybe he has his STAR on board...lol....sorry....lol

I wouldn't bet against that!

2 people like this

Nope, no star! My 2009 system said it was outdated and then shut down just before I left on vacation.

I have a new program that my computer friend is installing while I'm away. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have a new phone and camera and am having difficulties uploading pictures! So, no pictures, sorry.

The curling has been awesome and by seeing 3 games a day you get to know all the players.

Now the best 8 teams play twice today and tomorrow. After that the playoffs take place Sat and Sun.

Right now the teams from Alberta have the best records. Ontario is always a threat with Rachel Holman.

Jennifer Jones and team Canada has struggled.

Right now Liz and I would like to see the Chelsea Carey team from Alberta win.

oh ya, here in Sydney it's been -15 at night but the little smart has had no problems starting. Snow is predicted for today but that doesn't scare us. The smart has always been able to find a parking spot close to the arena. Advantage smart!

1 person likes this

Last day of the curling. In a couple of hours the winner of the Ontario Saskatchewan game will go on to play the #1 seeded team ALBERTA!!!

These are the big games and they are televised on TSN at 1 and 7 EST.

And a big shout out goes to Sydney (csc member) who we met yesterday. I saw his collection of 4 smarts - looks like he has a smart addiction haha!

Thanks to you and your wife for showing us some east coast hospitality! Cheers mate!

Last night they had a great local band playing at the lounge, lots of foot stomping fiddle music!!!

Tomorrow morning we head the Halifax to visit friends!

and one picture from Liz's phone - up close and personal with the BC rink, a crowd favourite!

hearts BC rink.jpg

3 people like this

It was nice meeting you both. Safe travels back to ontario.

Wish the weather was nicer, Mabey you can come back sometime other than February. Lol.

1 person likes this

It was a pleasure ''Sydney''!!!!!

Ontario advanced to the finals, Alberta fell behind, battled back, then Holman choked on 2 key shots, and ALBERTA WINS!!!!!!!

The Alberta team is now team Canada and plays in the Worlds being held in Denmark this year!  WOW!!!!!!!

20190224_212138.jpg

no ferries for me haha!!

But getting off Cape Breton island was interesting!! Snow/rain falling when we left turning the road into ice and slush.

Took an hour and a half to go 60 kms. Had 4 all wheel drives pass us but later passed one that had slid into the ditch!

The next challenge was the winds enroute to Halifax - had gusts up to 90km/h

It didn't get better yesterday! All day we battled those gusting winds!!!!   Especially in northern New Brunswick where the snow was piled high on both sides of the road causing white out conditions.The other side experienced a shut down when a tractor trailer and 4 vehicles had a pile up!

We were on the road from 9 tp 8pm and made our destination of Quebec city. Had terrible mileage as we were battling -20 temps and those 80-90km winds!

Today it is -25 to start but clear. Looks like the big obstacle getting home will be the heavy snow predicted for Toronto!

Cheers all!!!

Holy CRAP...!!!!

There would be no way I'd be getting on that ferry if the seas looked like that!.....WOW...!    I'd puke for sure!

Good to hear the Smart is going well in the bad conditions.......I have found you really can blast through the snowy conditions if you trust the car's ability.   Don't like it shutting the pedal down when it slips, but the system works....

For sure it does! This little smart was flawless on the trip.

Started off at 0830 this morning from Quebec city when the temp was -25!!

All was good till we reached Belleville and then it was white knuckle all the way home! What a relief to make it home with no incidents!!! 

Saw too many in the ditch! 13 hours on the road is too long!  

We will sleep well tonight!

2 people like this