Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miker

AC Belt - can I just remove it?

3 posts in this topic

The magic smoke left the AC unit long ago.  I'm wondering if I can just cut the AC Belt and run without it.  I get a squealing noise after replacing the alternator/water pump belt and I'm fairly sure it isn't that any more - but it might be the ac belt and it would be nice to eliminate it as a possible culprit.  Noise only lasts for about a block at most and once the car's warmed up it's fine.

Cutting the belt will cause no issues especially when you have a non working AC.

2 people like this

I run a loose alternator belt only now also....no A/C   I don't use A/C and like you the magic just wasn't strong enough to make it worth using..imho.  I leave the Alt belt slackish just so if the alternator doesn't wish to turn nicely at start up the engine will turn over and start well.  I also use belt dressing spray to help stop the squealing...it makes a difference...but best thing is to keep the Alt freshly WD40'd to stop the rust setting in. Just my way until i get the alternator off and turned down a bit....to allow better clearances. Beater has it done already.  I haven't driven it long enough at all to say if it's a good thing or not yet. 

1 person likes this