Fuelsiper

New guy and a smart fan

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I go by the name fuel sipper and while I do not own a smart car I have had the privilege of test driving both an 06 diesel and a 2010 1.0L both were a blast to drive and I know how well these cars handle. I am in the market for a 451(I think that's what it's called it's 2008 too 2015 model year. I  love the way the car handles as well as it sips fuel. I did have a geo metro for several years. So 3cylenders are nothing new to me. I hope that I will have a smart in the near future.

Cheers.

I am just about ready to list my 2006 Smart Pulse. Diesel. 86,426 km. I am its only owner and it has been used only half the year in the last six years. 

I'd buy a CDI every day of the week over a gas powered Smart....simply for the 80 MPGs it's capable of getting.....gas can't get close....

1 person likes this

Fuelsiper and Estelle ... Welcome to the club.

For sure, diesels will get much better fuel mileage, BUT any diesel smart sold in Canada will be at least 13 years old. I have two, and for the most part, they have been good, but I spend most of my time driving on major highways.  The diesel smart doesn't like the lower speeds of city and rush hour driving.

Gas powered smarts are quicker due to a larger engine but they require premium fuel and don't even come close to matching the diesel for mileage.  You can get similar or even better gas mileage from a small Toyota or Honda, even without going to a hybrid.

I don't want to dash your dreams, but just to be forewarned about the age of the diesels and the ultimate cost versus fun factor of the gas models.   The choice is ultimately up to you.  There are several members within 20 minutes from St. Thomas and most would be willing to meet if you wanted a long, in person, chat about them.   Just say the word.

1 person likes this

Thanks, Leadwing. I was replying to the individual--Fuelsiper? I think?--who indicated he wanted a diesel. I have one and I am just getting ready to sell it. I bought it in 2006 and I love it, but lots of water under the bridge since 2006 and I've since married (he's American) and I only live in Canada half the year. So, it's really (past) time to let it go. Every time I'm in Canada I run out of time to put it up for sale. So I am not looking, but rather selling. But thank you. -- Estelle 

Yes Estelle, I understand but I wanted to welcome you and fuelsiper to the club anyway.  I must admit I missed the part where you mentioned the mileage.  I bought my '05 (the blue one in my avatar) with 94,000kms. on it and it is still running great at over 200,000kms. now.  My '06 has less kms. on it than yours and has worked flawlessly so far.  I am not saying that buying an older car is a bad thing,  Yours sounds like it would be a good one because of the lower kms. and one owner.  Fuelsiper can PM you if he / she wishes to discuss business. :) ~ Ron

I am a relatively new owner of a smart car..I asked the same questions and got the same answers you are getting. I also have owned from new a Toyota Echo hatchback with 5 speed manual.....I was told to either keep the toyota on the road or buy another simply as it's a far more useful vehicle and I will admit since buying my smart, probably more reliable.  It gets 50 MPGs on a good day and will go like stink IF you ask it to and get 40 MPGs while doing it. It has 560,000 kms on the clock and the original clutch finally wore out. I drew the line at this repair and cost etc ....and searched for a new vehicle. I wanted a toy as well as a daily driver. I'm very happy with my smart car,it's a blast to drive, seriously economical, and just an all around fun car. But as said before, they are getting older now. You need to realize this as you will find slight rusting on good ones and some say bad on the worst non cared for vehicles. And some possibly serious electrical issues requiring some TLC.....same for any older vehicle really. You can't expect a near new condition vehicle when choosing one of this vintage naturally. BUT, the fun factor of owning one can certainly out weigh the effort needed to keep it in tip top condition. IMHO they are a fun car that you will need to learn plenty about. IF you can except this buy one and enjoy...I like mine so much I bought a second...lol.

Hi Leadwing,

Thank you for the warm welcome. While buying a 13-year-old car may seem insane I bought my 92 geo back when it was 18 years old and I just donated it to the Kidney Foundation a month ago. While I am looking at both the diesel Smart and the gas version I work close to home but all my friends and family are in the GTA so I do a lot of highway driving. I have always had a soft spot for 3cylenders and I am ok with premium fuel if need be and throw you back in your seat performance is not always a big thing. I got a 2016 Civic Touring turbo for speed. and performance and the old saying is true its better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I will keep my eyes peeled for a good smart car.

1 person likes this

Welcome.

I have owned both the diesel and gas versions, there has only been about a 1 litre per 100km difference in fuel consumption for me.  The overall reliability of my 451 over the 450 I had, eclipses the one-trick-pony fuel mileage of the cdi.  My gasser has  returned about 5.2 lhk over the last 199k km.  There were mechanical and software issues in the first couple of years of the 451.  Depending on budget, the closer to a 2015 model year you can get the better.

7 hours ago, Fuelsiper said:

I will keep my eyes peeled for a good smart car.

I know where there is a 2010 with only 13,000 kms. on it.  The asking price is a tad high IMHO, but I am sure he can be bargained with since it has been for sale for a couple of years.  PM me for details or you can contact Estelle by PM and ask her about her diesel smart.

(To PM here, simply click on the poster's screen nic and a new page opens to reveal the page where you can PM)

@Fuelsiper I also had a Geo Metro (my first car actually) and I loved it. But not as much as my Smarty. I only have limited experience with diesels but I can say my gas powered Smart is a gem on the highway and in the city. It's easy and convenient and gets even better mileage than the Geo. Diesels of any kind have always seemed difficult and complicated for me (granted, I'm called Dumbsmartgirl for a reason!) so I'll leave the expertise on that matter to those who understand it better. But you really can't go wrong with whatever Smart you ultimately decide on. They're all wonderful!  

Best of luck! 

Thanks, Dumbsmartgirl, I am looking at some prospects at the moment Leadwing thanks so much for the help. I am looking forward to owning a smart diesel or gas.