SmartAngle

240v plug in charger fault.

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post on your useful forum. I have a charger problem.

I have a 2013 Smart ED bought a year ago with 6250 miles on the clock.

We use the car almost exclusively for short journeys of 6 to 10 miles for which it is perfect and much smoother than my old petrol model. (hated that gearbox so much!)

Initially our range was 70 miles but this has dropped to around 55 in winter with ambient temperatures of around 7 - 10 degrees C. (I'm guessing low 40's F). 

We charge at 240v using the supplied charger plugged into a 13A domestic outlet.

We love it and have had no issues with the car in 12 months but today the charger seems to have failed. We use the supplied Intertek charger.

Plugged in as usual and failed to get the sequence of two steady followed a few seconds later by two flashing greens. The only sign of life being a couple of short flashes from the top left led. The car locks the plug in as usual but registers no charge on the dash.

Has the charger failed or can we perform some maintenance on it?

We have a charge point nearby but they charge per hour and at 10 miles charge per hour its expensive!

Thanks.

The EVSE included with my 2015 ED died after a couple of years, and was replaced under warranty by my smart dealer, no questions asked. 

Thanks for your reply darren.

Not much chance of Merc replacing it here in the UK I would have thought. I have seen generic chargers on ebay at £200 but first - pass me the screwdriver, I'm going in!

Will post my findings.

Having ordered a generic charger I took the angle grinder to the Intertek unit hoping to find obvious signs of damage inside. 

As the photos show it was pristine in there despite the rain here in Anglesey. No clues at all as to why it failed. 

It's a Lear board and if anyone has any ideas for testing it I'd be grateful. We now think that the cylindrical component between the terminals is a fuse which I will check at the workshop.LearBoard2.jpg

LearBoard1.jpg

LearBoard3.jpg

LearBoard4.jpg

1 person likes this