Fuelsiper

Smart Madness Perforance Upgrade

6 posts in this topic

Ok, now that I have the chance to save up for a 451 I am looking at some feedback from owners who have upgraded to Madness Autoworks performance parts. I am looking at the CAI, full exhaust headers with muffler, and a few of the tunes. I know I am asking a lot but I want to do my homework so I can shop and get a good idea of what to buy. Rims I have already gone through a few that I like.

Cheers,

Visit Smart Car of America site.  There is a good write up comparing the CAI against using a silicone tube and eliminating the airbox and installing a K&N air cleaner in place of the stock one.  He made several dyno pulls and posted the results.  You may be surprised at what he learned.  Good luck in your mod plans.

I did the Barney-O budget intake mod on my car, there is a thread of sCOA.  Very easy to change the filter now.  The stock filter is more than fine for turbo applications, no need for more in a stock or near stock car.  Noise is the only gain from an aftermarket exhaust.

I just used a drop-in K&N air filter and I did feel a difference... not huge of course but ShMart is quicker off the line. Sounds a tad growlier too...
Next up will be replacing the air intake tube to the engine and removing the resonator. That seems to be the cheapest upgrade for 3hp... Oh!!! And don't forget the K&N sticker on the back window!!! That's a bonus 3hp as well!!! :-D

2 people like this

I can attest to the HP gain from the intake pipe replacing the resonator box.... did it on my first 451.

*Might* do it on the new one too.

Not a K&N fan myself.... but do like a good clean filter all the same.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 17/05/2019 at 5:36 PM, smartzuum said:

I can attest to the HP gain from the intake pipe replacing the resonator box.... did it on my first 451.

*Might* do it on the new one too.

Not a K&N fan myself.... but do like a good clean filter all the same.

Hey @smartzuum When you removed the resonator box, did it change the noise level inside the car? I imagine the noise changes outside but does the inside suffer?

Edited by ShMarty