Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rlander

Are These Wheels Safe?

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I´m looking to buy my first smart and came upon a 2013 Fortwo Passion 84cv which car looks well kept. However, the factory wheels were replaced (with the help of an 3-5 adapter) with 17" MB aloy wheels and I was wondering how safe this mod is. Also, do you think it might be a source of rattling? Thanks for the help!

smart2.jpg

smart1.jpg

I doubt they would rattle or be unsafe, BUT, the amount of side wall flex, just driving down this driveway will shake your fillings out of your teeth!  So, think of the road surfaces you normally drive on...imho.

lol good point. Those low profile tyres look good but they sure don't seem adequate for a daily driver. The owner is asking a very reasonable price, though.

In some locations wheel adapters are not road legal.  If they are manufactured and installed correctly, there should be no noises or real safety issues.  I have run 5mm spacers to fit a set of summer tires I have, with no problems, under hard driving.   I have 16" wheels and the ride quality is reduced enough that I would not run 17" on a smart.

Edited by Huronlad

I don't think they're illegal here, but I'll check. The owner says he installed something called "urethane buffer", which improves ride experience a lot. I'll take it for a test drive next week and report back. My main concern was safety though, so thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm not sure they'd be unsafe.  However, the ride on an already stiff car is liable to have been degraded, and the extra weight, and therefore inertial resistance, won't do performance or handling any favours.

Does the owner still have the original wheels to throw into the deal?

We're lucky here, there are som many used Smarts to choose from its easy to walk past vehicles with mods like this and find another.  No quite so easy your side of the pond.

Good luck.

Edited by Chopper

they look nice

yes they are safe but they corrode easy ..maybe ask the owner if they are commercial product or homemade....most are made of high quality aluminum,,,should be fine on that car as i doubt Brazil uses road salt....steer clear if they are homemade

biggest downside to the tires will be ride comfort....biggest downside to the adapters is they will annoy your mechanic 

I have Eibach wheel spacers on both ends of my smart.  They are spacers, not lug adapters.  No issues at all and they have been on my car for several years with 17" Brabus wheels all around.  The only issue I have is the best tire store in my area won't work on a car with spacers or adapters installed.  When I need tires, a balance, or alignment, I just remove the spacers, get the work done and put the spacers back on when I get home.

Good to know that these are safe, thanks, guys

@LooseLugNuts The owner does not have the original wheels anymore, but he told me that the adapters are a commercial product, made in Germany, so they should withstand the weather well enough, I guess.

@Chopper yeah, unfortunately in my area I have to choose either this modded one or a (not so well kept) MHD.

@1983JZR3W that's a very valid point... In the case of a blown tyre or any wheel service, it's gonna take some effort to take out those wheels. BTW, is that 17" smart your daily driver? I'm not so hot on this car because I am looking for a daily driver, not a second or third card, so I may just have to pass this one in favour of the MHD.

Edited by rlander

@rlander  My smart is not a daily driver.  It is more of a toy or garage queen.  In fact in 9 years and 10 months of ownership, I just turned over 5,000 miles.

When driving around here in the summer with the windows down I hear these cars that stop and start constantly at traffic lights etc...I can't help but think how fast the starting systems will fail due to constant stopping and starting all day.  Just another crazy anti-pollution idea some climate control freak has dreamed up for the cause.   No wonder today's starters are so expensive to replace.  They have found a market, we need them so the costs we must bear can climb.

I'll happily stick with the old keep her running until I get to where it is I need to go theory....lol.

“Urethane buffer”?

I'm curious what exactly that is, and where it is installed. 

7 hours ago, darren said:

“Urethane buffer”?

I'm curious what exactly that is, and where it is installed. 

They are installed between the coils of the suspension spring. Trivial installation. They’re made in Korea and very popular in Korean cars (hard suspension).

4 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

lmao at the genitals part in that article 

" Do not place any fingers, genitals, pets or your tie near the pullies and belt whilst they are rotating. "

I really can't remember the last time my genitals were rotating :dunno: 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up buying a 2013 turbo passion with only 19.000km. The car looks brand new (I had to travel 1600km to get it, but it was worth it).

1 person likes this