ian122778

Possible to do oil sprocket without removing engine?

59 posts in this topic

Battery too low then....could be junk...if it has 12.6 or more it should start engine then run until it has used up enough to not give enough charge...I think...could be wrong, but that's how a gasolene engine operates....or was it just because it was an older vehicle and today's electronics require far more ?

They are far too complicated for their own good...lol

slacken alternator bolts...remove belt...run booster cables to a running car...turn key

should work no?

one of my favourite ways to find noise sources is simply a 1/4 hose about 3 feet long...one end is used to probe ...other end is pressed into my good ear

2 people like this

I opened mine out to inspect after I saw dieselkiki posting the state of his bold oil pump sprocket here. Luckily mine was perfectly fine as were timing chain and oil pump chain sprockets and their chains. 

My Smart is from 2002 hence oil pump sprocket is totally different batch compared to dieselkiki’s.  

I have almost driven my Smart the distance from here all the way to the moon without any oil pump or sprocket failure. 

Im around 260k on mine, it's due for some love.  My muffler is pretty badly cracked, my shocks could use a change and I have an oil leak somewhere in the engine.  I much would have fathered address some of that over the oil sprocket, but it is what it is 

IF you wanted to spend the fundages, i would rebuild that engine and start from new....

But that's just me....lol

I hate unreliable vehicles...walking is for younger folks..lol

I also used one of the cheap kits without issue to this point.  I did however re-use one of the plastic guides or something.. The piece in the new kit just wasn't right. I also did the lifters at the same time. They were cheap direct from MB.

Its really not that hard to drop the engine. get the whole car up on stands, drop a few bolts and some wires, and lower to the ground. Takes 2.5 men to get it up to the stand. It didnt fit so nice on the engine stand I had..  I remember that I could only use 2 bolts, being a fairly light engine I wasn't worried thats for sure. I was amazed to see the gear was completely void of all teeth.. completely round and shiney. (there are pics on here somewhere I think) If i remember correctly someone had said they were made cheaply from factory... but that could be fake news. Once the tensioner breaks the chain just slaps around and it didn't take long to have no pressure. 

Edit:    Found it!   

Edited by AHZELA
1 person likes this

Yesterday I scoped my beater's engine to find the oil chain, it is brand new, so someone has already done the dirty work on that engine for me...luckily. This week coming I will scope the summer car's engine to see what shape that chain and sprockets are in. It took a little bit of time to get the best picture of the chain etc but once you get it it's easy to see the condition of everything.  Straight down the oil fill hole........

OK found a diagram and photo for the oil chain....it is seriously difficult to see the oil sprocket from what i can tell.....all I can or have seen is the crank teeth and the chain. You can see the general condition of the chain resting within the teeth on the crank....which will give you a general over view of the chain if you carefully rotate the crank 360 degrees. You could see if there were any missing rollers or damaged or extremely worn ones also.  Not sure I would risk pushing scope down past this location due to risking losing it or trapping it deep down.

Edited by Willys

9 hours ago, Willys said:

OK found a diagram and photo for the oil chain....it is seriously difficult to see the oil sprocket from what i can tell.....all I can or have seen is the crank teeth and the chain. You can see the general condition of the chain resting within the teeth on the crank....which will give you a general over view of the chain if you carefully rotate the crank 360 degrees. You could see if there were any missing rollers or damaged or extremely worn ones also.  Not sure I would risk pushing scope down past this location due to risking losing it or trapping it deep down.

Take a look at the post I copied in.. Lots of pictures. You can clearly see the path down the front cover to the gears.

Unfortunately just seeing the chain will give you nothing. If you get a look at the teeth and they seem to be there then I suppose your OK. Tough to get a look tho.. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the thread and yes you are correct in saying the only thing you could see is the roller condition of the chain....if they are worn I expect the chain to be either stretched or worn enough to wear the teeth down badly on a soft sprocket.
Just a thought has anyone thought to heat treat this soft sprocket?   Would make sense if possible without warping it in the process, no?

I see a complete rebuild in the future if you need to get into it this far.

Damn, that's what both of mine are 05's...lol.
I better not find that...!....lol

They both are in the range of 150,000kms on them.....give or take and both seem to run well.    But if i wish to drive across the country and up to the arctic ocean , far away from any shop capable of dealing with a smart car I bet!   Also may be just a tad firther than CAA covers...lol

Mines an 06 with around 250 or so on it.  It's an awful racket it makes. Makes it even more embarrassing then just driving a bright orange smart car.

They claim chewing tobacco causes toothloss but that is not true.  Iv'e been chewing since I turned 16 and still have my 32 teeth nearly 50 years on.

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

They claim chewing tobacco causes toothloss but that is not true.  Iv'e been chewing since I turned 16 and still have my 32 teeth nearly 50 years on.

Hmmmm......you part cowboy....I just do not understand why anyone would purposely put tobacco into their mouths and suck on it just to spit out brown tar tasting goo...?
To each their own....and have at it...but a Scot's man who chews .....Hmmm...?     I didn't realize it was popular there..?

Maybe it's the scotch that helps keep the mouth clean after chewing..?    Also sanitizes your gums to keep your teeth..?

No offence ....just wondering....and like I said....I never knew it was a thing in Scotland or Great Britain.....you learn something every day it seems...

13 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i think mine was just over 106k when that sprocket came off

...This number makes me wonder how bad most chains and sprockets could be...unless they had a run of very weak materials.....why would these cars suffer from such bad chains....at such low miles..?    Is this a common issue between other manufacturers also...?   If so then it's not surprizing 

As far as I know, only Canadian diesel 450 Smarts suffer toothloss on oil pump sprocket.  They must have been fitted with a batch of sprockets that had not had their teeth flame hardened.

1 person likes this

the cabrio i had shows no signs of it,,,,was also a 2005 450 ..it had closer to 140k on odo when it went to new owner

i never inspected it though

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hmmmmm.......augh....!

This sort of carnage is what I fear for making this vehicle a long distance machine, unless you address it before you leave.....so this now is on my list to do before I put the summer car back into service.......I will be hunting for a good supplier for a couple of sets of sprockets and chains etc......does anyone have a suggestion?  OR is this simply a Romanian Latvia Lithuania scrounge item..??? Where ever it is?

Same sort of location as side engine mounts I fear.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts about hardening these sprockets..?

Edited by Willys

No point hardening these toothless sprockets now.  Lucklily mine still has its teeth intact just like me. 

22 minutes ago, tolsen said:

No point hardening these toothless sprockets now.  Lucklily mine still has its teeth intact just like me. 

Smart ass....lol.    Luck has nothing to do with it......I'll be ordering a set and testing them to check for hardness, then if they are soft....is it advisable to harden them..?  That is the question...???

9 hours ago, slipperyslope said:

oh oh spaghetti-oh

20190512_171417_resized.jpg

how can you inspect this sprocket?  or just keep an eye out for metal in the oil filter.