ian122778

Possible to do oil sprocket without removing engine?

59 posts in this topic

If you allow or wait for this to happen think of all the bits and pieces floating around in your engine causing other deadly problems down the road...?

These sprockets are flame hardened.  Some sprockets obviously bypassed the flame hardening process without anybody noticeing.  Easiest way to check sprocket hardness is by using a sharp file.  Compare with a good sprocket.  File should not bite if sprocket is good. 

2 people like this

believe it or not, the filter was clean. no idea how long the engine was running like this, but eventually a small chip was picked up, went through the oil pump and seized it. no mas oil pressure...

Like I said, I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance if you know what is likely to go wrong. Simply research it all and replace the known problems. Then hopefully the car will out last you.....well...maybe...lol.

so how can you check the sprocket without taking the engine apart?   i assume its not the sprocket that you can see thru the oil fill cover.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a scope that has long shaft and I got it most of the way along oil chain and I can see the chain links as I rotate the engine all intact and the sprocket on the crank in perfect order. No missing links or broken bits or longer spaced links....so I'm assuming it's not destroyed yet. I just ordered a fresh chain and sprockets kit  from Luthuania which they say has been hardened. So fingers crossed. 

The chain you are after is right at the bottom of the engine and then buggers off towards you if memory serves me right...it takes plenty of patience getting the scope to keep going in the right direction...wasn't easy and always worried about getting it stuck.  augh...!   That would then force me to dismantle engine...

Edited by Willys
1 person likes this

Plus you are into timing your engine also as the timing chain also needs to come off the crank to get the oil chain on, so it's a can of worms isn't it.......look at one chain to replace and then find the timing chain maybe needs it also....?

Hmmmm.....?

With the amount of failures this side of the pond it almost makes sense to go after it no matter what......get it done.......why destroy the engine because of this if nothing else is wrong?