Ronfire

Wont start cold

7 posts in this topic

My 2006 smart diesel 110,000 km does not start when it is cold but if I plug in the block heater for 2 hours it will start but a little rough for about 30 seconds.

Glow plug  or controller issue??

Replaced all 3 glow plugs ( Got lucky they did not break off )

Removed new glow plugs and connected them, turned on ignition and they get red hot and stay lit after the light goes off.

Hot wired the glow plugs to the battery and waited 15 seconds before trying to start

I replaced the Battery last fall

Checked the alternator and turn freely when the belt is removed.

I get no codes on the reader, no check engine light and the glow plug light works as it should ( on for 10 seconds and then stays off and does not return )

The car runs well if I start it after plugging it in for 2 hours, I am at a loss as to where to look next and cant find related posts to my problem.

Thanks  Ron

Just a question......when dealing with the glow plugs operation....does the glow plug only heat up and glow for the time that the idiot light is showing....or wouldn't they burn up prematurely?  I thought this is how they operated not stay on after the light goes out..?   I am probably wrong that is why i ask?

Do you use diesel conditioner? If not try adding 50ml per tank to it every other fill up. I do not beleive in mechanic in a can or bottle in this case but it made a definate difference in my mileage numbers, so it did something good.  It may help you also....I buy diesel kleene or something similar, sorry can't remember actual name of the stuff, bought at CTC sliver bottle or jug....with red and black print.

This problem has gotten worse in the past month, last month it started fine. Cant see that compression would drop off that fast to cause this.

Have tried injector cleaners in the fuel with no results, maybe made it worse.

What about contaminated fuel..?

Dirt in fuel tank being sucked up? Fuel filter issues? Fuel hoses collapsing? Air leaking into system..?  
Just spit balling...?

What about the compression seals under injectors leaking? You could pull injectors just to peak at their nozzle conditions?  I just bought new nozzles from a guy here for less than a single rebuilt injector. Something to consider after peering into them? Taking the injectors out and changing the nozzles isn't a big job if you have done the glow plugs.  I have a sonic cleaner and cleaned my nozzles and they worked far better than what they did before cleaning, so a fresh set will even better I bet. Talk to Mender I believe he is on the site.  Very nice guy.  Also the seals are dirt cheap at your dealership. Buy double what you need just in case.....better than a return trip if you mess one up. Cheap ins.

Well I gave up. Traded the car off for a new truck. I got tired of working on 2 old vehicles ALL THE TIME.

Dont get me wrong the smart has been good to me . It is the vehicle I have owned the longest and would travel cross ways on the  back of the truck on route to AZ for the winters. Just time for new.

livinghome.jpg