patallen

Front shocks source for 450/2006 ? and turbo hose to the motor

71 posts in this topic

been looking for a while for decent front shocks for my 2006 cdi....preferably in canada or usa...

rockauto=not listed

uap/carquest=not listed

ALSO

the hose that reaches the intercooler/egr assembly to the motor, on the top of the motor...

seems uber rare...

thanks for any tips.

Flyingtiger.ca  The have a bilstein coil over kit if you like!

The brabus set is likely what I would go with other then the coil overs. Also there is a tool you need to get the spring off of the damper.

humm that doesnst really help me i dont want to modify the car i just want to fix it cheap.

i have all the tools already

no coil over for me it behaves like a garbage can already thanks.

whats the hell with the brabus stuff ? what is a brabus first ? what am i looking for ?

Question: i need STOCK shocks for a 2006 CDI, in CANADA

thanks.

germanparts.ca

they ship fast ..ive never had a problem with orders from them

1 person likes this

I got a H&R cup kit a few years back for around $~650 from Mikasa Performance in Red Deer, AB. They can ship it to you as well.

i figured that around 125 $ each shock is what i will pay no matter what

still need to find the top turbo hose

i do believe its pn  A6601410204  but i have terrible problems finding parts number or exploded view

intercooler hose A6601410204

It seams unSmart to own Smart cars in Canada due to extortionate parts prices.

A Sachs front shock only costs £22 here in the uk. Made by Bilstein for Sachs so same as Bilstein which cost more. 

That's a big leap there.

i have far more difficulties to find parts for this car than all my other antique cars (i have many old cars)

sometimes searches doesnt show anything, either because i miss spell the name or other unknown reason that really frustrates me.

Car got given to me so i cant complain i just want to fix it and "try" the concept....so far i am very disapointed of the overall experience....just because of the unobtainability of the parts and lack of obvious information that is normally 100% available for other brands/types.

Smart 450

Smart fortwo

Smart 0.8 cdi

and what else...

Mercedes really made it way too complicated imho, too exclusive

i keep telling myself "why ????" what the hell they did there !!!

discovered today that there is an actuator into the headlights....loool.

Flying tiger has the shocks as well.  

https://shop.flyingtiger.ca/index.php?p=product&id=1763

You may find you can make the car much more serviceable with a few mods.  A remap being one of the first on the list.

Smart was not smart in the way they made the access to parts super difficult and expensive.  That alone has turned a lot of people off and is a recurring complaint on the forum (if I only had a nickel for every time I have read stealership on this site).  If you look in the forums you will find that members have taken the time to build an extensive list of part numbers of the parts that are hard to find a number for.  Like the original signal light bulbs.  

The club has a can be a lot of help if you let it.

Great members with a love of all things smart.

Welcome to the club.

1 person likes this

Thanks Henry

what common remap can be made ? Malone ? i know Mark personnaly.

i will ask him.

i am more concerned with the transmission behaviour and software upgrades that makes it "faster" to shift....how much faster ? does it worth it at all ? its a steealershit thing only i guess.

tia

It helps you, because flyingtiger has Bilstiens, Brabus, and stock dampers. Brabus is the sport model from Smart. I think the stocks are $100 per ??

I am pretty sure that there is a proprietary tool from MB to remove the spring from the dampers up front. I had to barrow one when I changed mine. I suppose if you have a lot of experience/tools you may be able to figure something out. 

You can get the springs off the struts up front with coil spring compressor which has thinner fingers to catch the springs. OR.....you can do it the dangerous and not recommended way using hose clamps......I don't recommend it but I did it last year on my beater when my coil spring clamp had fingers too thick to get between the coil and strut without scraping the shock sides.  It was a very scarey job and extremely dangerous!!!    But doable....that's all i'll say about it.     Once you get the coils shortened or compressed enough to allow the top clamp to release them the rest is simple.  The coils are thin compared to most North American vehicles by a long shot. Closer to ATV coils which I looked at when making a lift kit for it.

There is no need for any spring compressor if you have the services of a sufficiently strong and daring assistant. 

i have plenty of tools already thanks. spring compressors, shaft grabbers and whats not.

i fix regularly "other" kind of cars lool.

i can tell you i had to use a shaft grabber (18mm) the allen key at the end of the strut cant hold at all...been there done that.

3 hours ago, AHZELA said:

It helps you, because flyingtiger has Bilstiens, Brabus, and stock dampers. Brabus is the sport model from Smart. I think the stocks are $100 per ??

I am pretty sure that there is a proprietary tool from MB to remove the spring from the dampers up front. I had to barrow one when I changed mine. I suppose if you have a lot of experience/tools you may be able to figure something out. 

sorry i missed that i saw only coil over or perf upgrades

100-125$ is the norm apparently.

i have a shaft grabber for the strut thats all is needed really if this is what you refer as a MB tool.

Yes thats it, the shaft grabber. I kinda forgot what was needed used till you said that, i felt there was some kind of wrench...  but that could be for the wifes motorcycle... lol  

:rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, patallen said:

i can tell you i had to use a shaft grabber (18mm) the allen key at the end of the strut cant hold at all...been there done that.

Use an air impact gun, long extension, wobble joint and impact socket to undo top strut nut. 

photo_2.jpg

You can then remove both struts in just a few minutes. No need to remove any panels as you get good access to top strut nuts through the two service flaps. 

photo_1.jpg

15 hours ago, patallen said:

100-125$ is the norm apparently

12% off this weekend with promo code at german parts

and shipping is always cheap

the impact was not working it was all seized it really needed the shaft grabber.

I made my own grabber out of a block of alluminium and some stainless bolts. I also didn't want to use my impact in fear of it may snap off the top nut....just my luck. The larger breaker bar moved it easily  so no worries. There was evidence someone before me had beaten the nut using an impact of some kind which also made me worry about rounding the head off.

As for a grabber you could use a good set of vise grips and some thin rubber matting to stop teeth from eating shaft..?   Just to see...?