BWM

Start interupter

34 posts in this topic

Not sure of of the proper term.

But can you disable the start interupter.

The one I mean is when you need to hit the unlock button on the FOB after 10 min approx in order for the starter to work.

I really don't require this were I live haven't taken a key out in yrs here.

Think I saw a switch you can plug into the OSB2 plug that does that, I remember a topic that said you could jump two pins there to do the same thing but can't find that post now

Again thanks

You mean permanently disabling the immobiliser?

Cannot easily be done and something I would not wish to discuss on an open forum. 

Is it really that difficult to just hit a button to disable the immobilized when you get in the car?

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

You mean permanently disabling the immobiliser?

Cannot easily be done and something I would not wish to discuss on an open forum. 

i would love to get rid of the immobilizer for good.   i only have one key  (i have lots of spare batteries)  but one day i'm sure i will get stuck somewhere with a bad key fob.

it would be so nice to just be able to run to a local key shop and get a spare key cut.

Fobs are cheap if bought off shore and can be reprogramed using a STAR easily.....then it's just the blank shaft you require to get new key cut.....OR.....get rid of key completely, use fob to disable anti theft and simply use toggle and push button to start...?  But still seems a load to get a key that works..?  How far from Ottawa are you? I drive there semi regularly to visit family, if it's not all that far maybe we could meet somewhere to do fobs?

As for fobs you can buy cheaper chinese versions for next to nothing, or there are more expensive versions that feel just like the original materials...pliable and not stiff like chinese version. BUT if your buttons are OK and you just need the guts....some do come with blanks also so simply transfer new guts and blank and use your fob buttons.

I'm 5 hr's from Ottawa

4 hrs to London

It's 2 hrs to the closest MB dealer.

I would like my own star system or a program I could put on a laptop to do my own programming.

At the moment I have but one key getting others isn't my issue but I haven't plated it yet and it might be awhile till I do which means till then I need to borrow a trailer and hauling it to anywhere to get programming done.

Add that to the fact I don't need or want this starter lock out.

I'm sure I could add a $4 push button from CTC and direct wire to the starter and bi pass it totally but that may not bi pass the alarm if it has one as it has never beeped while using anything.

I'ld like to just put my key in, start and go.

It's going to be hard enough explaining glow plugs to the wife once she starts driving it.

If it's that hard to shut off I'll just have to deal with her learning it as part of startup along with the glow plugs but in warm weather that's not as much an issue she won't drive if there 2 snow flakes or rain drops in the air or in the dark.

Most on rd use will be done by me as anything is 30 mins away from us in any direction so it would be cheaper to run than the Jeep or pick up for small things.

She only goes about a 1/2 mile around here to visit her friends that she does on a golf cart now, but that's shot.

She's already afraid the Smart Car is to big to drive.

See my problem here.

Till she's ok with this It won't be going on the rd.

I've been working on cars and tractors for 45+ yrs so not afraid of doing my own work.

So is there a simple way to disable the start interuptor.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A simple way? No.

All modern cars have immobilizers and electronic keys to prevent theft. Anything that would bypass this (like simply jumping pins on an electronic module or pulling a fuse) would be essentially a back door to hot-wiring the car, and that would defeat the whole purpose.

You literally just have to push the unlock button on the key, put it in, turn it, and go. If those steps are too complicated, there's probably not much you can do.

Edited by darren

2 hours ago, BWM said:

I'm 5 hr's from Ottawa

4 hrs to London

It's 2 hrs to the closest MB dealer.

I would like my own star system or a program I could put on a laptop to do my own programming.

At the moment I have but one key getting others isn't my issue but I haven't plated it yet and it might be awhile till I do which means till then I need to borrow a trailer and hauling it to anywhere to get programming done.

Add that to the fact I don't need or want this starter lock out.

I'm sure I could add a $4 push button from CTC and direct wire to the starter and bi pass it totally but that may not bi pass the alarm if it has one as it has never beeped while using anything.

I'ld like to just put my key in, start and go.

It's going to be hard enough explaining glow plugs to the wife once she starts driving it.

If it's that hard to shut off I'll just have to deal with her learning it as part of startup along with the glow plugs but in warm weather that's not as much an issue she won't drive if there 2 snow flakes or rain drops in the air or in the dark.

Most on rd use will be done by me as anything is 30 mins away from us in any direction so it would be cheaper to run than the Jeep or pick up for small things.

She only goes about a 1/2 mile around here to visit her friends that she does on a golf cart now, but that's shot.

She's already afraid the Smart Car is to big to drive.

See my problem here.

Till she's ok with this It won't be going on the rd.

I've been working on cars and tractors for 45+ yrs so not afraid of doing my own work.

So is there a simple way to disable the start interuptor.

Sorry I mistook you for someone else...lol.....IF you are so close to Glenn then he is the best guy to go to see about repairs that require the STAR.  The STAR is a very useful tool but can be finicky and slow.  All depends upon the day and what it is you are looking for i have found. Also there are two at least versions of it available. Depending upon what you have in way of a laptop already it's not that expensive to get one up and running. You require the multi plexer, the cable that goes between it and your laptop, and either a specific Dell 640 old machine or a good more modern machine that'll be able to work faster. OR seperate  the Start system from the main PC so you can run both. 

Ok lets talk alarms here.

If anyone thinks an alarm will stop a thief think again 4 guys can pick a smart car up into a trailer in 10 secs and gone if wanted.

As to modern cars all having them yes but all I've seen you can control them.

My 92 Jeep wagoneer the alarm is set with the FOB double click on the lock off when unlock with FOB or by unlocking the door with a solid steel key. I don't have the FOB and that Jeep has 200 more electrical systems that wouldn't fit inside a smart in pieces, I have so many battery drains I just use a battery disconnect on it which arms the alarm on reconnect. Just jump the two wires in a door and it no longer works. It's my plow truck only.

2003 Jeep Liberty again 2 clicks on FOB to arm unlock key or FOB to disarm doesn't reset alarm if battery disconnected.

2012 f450 King Ranch again same as Liberty.

All 3 have an auto shutdown if the alarm is set by the user.

Who ever thought having an automatic set you can't shut down with nothing but the FOB was smoking some good stuff.

Just think what happens if your 400 miles from home and for some reason you break the FOB and the closest dealer is 200 miles away. A way to disable it would be a huge benifit.

I could come up with other reasons too even just being out and breaking your FOB do you carry both all the time

I'll probably buy a blank and glue the FOB to the dash so it can't be lost or broken.

Have no fears here for theft and I have no need to lock my doors anywhere we go.

To me this is a dumb idea that a high end company like MB could have done more user controlled not car mandated you have to use.

Thanks for your info

I will find a work around someday.

I might be wrong but believe both the high authorities and insurance company require cars to be fitted with immobilisers or did it perhaps originate from Boeing?

Might be over in the UK tolsen.

All three of my alarm equipped ones will shut down in a few seconds if the alarm was set and not shut down before starting but they don't come on by themselves.

At one time Insurance com gave a discount if you had an alarm on your car I installed hundreds if not thousands when I worked in the after market custom places.

Once they found out even extreme high end units could be disabled by professional thieves in seconds it became a non issue.

When I was running tow truck we had kits to get into locked cars.

Most times I could get a car door unlocked using the kit in about 5 to 10 seconds and I'm slow.

With the smart the door skin can be removed quickly even with the door closed and window up giving total reach to all inside.

Remember cars get stolen mostly to be striped for parts.

Total sales of smart cars over here wouldn't make one yrs sales of Dodge mini vans or Honda Civics or a hundred other models thieves can sell parts from, there's just not a demand for parts except us smart enthusiasts.

Smart sales over there and Europe would total a lot more than here in any yr I assume without actual figures.

Here most were bought at the beginning because it was the new cool car some because of fuel mileage.

I always wanted one but other than replacing the wife's golf cart and the smart 1/2 what a replacement cart would be.

Yes she has her license that she kept up she's terrified of just being in a car and I'm hoping she'll get over that she's even afraid of driving the golf cart.

Had her out in the lane today she got 50 ft 1st gear and stopped

What ever happened did so before I knew her and she won't tell me not going to push either.

I maybe barking up a path she'll never go down but she really needs to be able to drive in case of emergencies.

We're just to far out to get fast response time from fire, police and paramedics.

Any how my problem is there's no way to disable the immobilizer except by the FOB.

What happens when we can't get replacement FOB's

There's plenty of parts no longer to be bought for even newer cars with even higher build numbers than these ones.

Edited by BWM

Immobilisers indeed are mandatory according to Wikipedia:

Immobilisers have been mandatory in all new cars sold in Germany since 1 January 1998, in the United Kingdom since 1 October 1998, in Finland since 1998, in Australia since 2001 and in Canada since 2007.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

Lots of otherwise perfectly good cars will end up scrapped due to immobiliser and or key fob problems. 

For that reason I have cloned an ECU as spare for my 450 and have four working key fobs. 

As said before a STAR system will easily produce fobs if you have a fob to program to your car, by the dozens....I have 4 fobs ready for my summer car, just in case but only two key blades. You also need to marry each computer to the rest if you need or want to swap one out. Not sure if you swap them all out at the same time. I did it all at once but also reprogramed them all at the same time so can't say for sure the car wouldn't recognize them being new and say sorry try again..?
So again the cost of a STAR system isn't much when you really think of all it can save you at any shop when something requires reprograming. What's the average charge at the stealership for a simple STAR experience..?  I know what they asked for a new key that required reprograming to car, over $400...!!!!    For a key...!!!!     That is highway robbery!!!   That is 1/3 of what i spent to get a near new laptop and the STAR stuff to get up and running! Mine has easily paid for itself trouble shooting my cars.

BMW PM me and we can talk.

Immobilizers and alarms are fundamentally different things. Alarms make a bunch of noise, but ultimately do nothing. Immobilizers use an electronic key that's coded to the ECU as an interlock system. They cannot be bypassed. A new key has to be programmed and coded to the ECU.

So thieves will either tow a car away on a flatbed and program a new key in their own shop, or they'll intercept a wireless key fob's code and clone a key. 

21 hours ago, tolsen said:

Immobilisers indeed are mandatory according to Wikipedia:

Immobilisers have been mandatory in all new cars sold in Germany since 1 January 1998, in the United Kingdom since 1 October 1998, in Finland since 1998, in Australia since 2001 and in Canada since 2007.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

Didn't know Can made them mandatory

But from my research most NA sold cars use a smart chip that the car reads automaticly and the average person doesn't know they even have one till they try to get a spare key.

Talked to a cple people today only 2 knew about them and one had a key taped under his dash so he didn't ave to worry about loosing his only chipped key.

My insurance company didn't know it was a requirement here and she's going to get back to me, they are one of the largest in Can.

My point still stands this set up is a very poor design IMO.

Om my smart the key must be out of the ignition to disable the immobilizer with the FOB.

I'll jst have to live with it till I find a work around, as it's a 2005 and Can brought this into effect for 07 it shouldn't matter to them.

Most cars finish their life with me as I run them till they aren't worth fixing them anymore.

I average 600-800,000 on most of them doing all my own repairs too.

I'm known for buying junkers and getting the most out of them either parts or driving.

Thanks for the info.

19 hours ago, darren said:

Immobilizers and alarms are fundamentally different things. Alarms make a bunch of noise, but ultimately do nothing. Immobilizers use an electronic key that's coded to the ECU as an interlock system. They cannot be bypassed. A new key has to be programmed and coded to the ECU.

So thieves will either tow a car away on a flatbed and program a new key in their own shop, or they'll intercept a wireless key fob's code and clone a key. 

Over on the Jeep site they have found on some models they can disable the auto shut down and alarms using a universal TV remote.

My 93 Wagoneer can be done this way not sure on the Liberty.

My point is if a theif wants it short off encasing it in a block of concrete it'll be gone

Thank fully the 05 06 aren't really in their sites to steal.

Besides nothing can't be unbeatable if you're determined enough.

2 hours ago, BWM said:

My point still stands this set up is a very poor design IMO.

That may be true but..... you might as well hit your head against a concrete wall than to try to get around this one.

It is what it is and it is not worth the effort trying to beat this system, trust us.

Accept and move on.

3 people like this

I agree, just get half a dozen fobs trained and you're golden...simple solution......the cheapest are a few dollars from China  if I recall correctly, which now a days is probably incorrect...lol

OR you could do the nasty thing and visit a wrecker who has a few smarts and look for second keys with fobs....leave one for the ign  so someone else can buy ign and take the other....buy it of course but all you need is the guts any way....if your fob is still perfect that is.

Again, it's a deterrent to the casual thief, or joyrider, not professionals or organized crime, who will just load a targeted car on a flatbed and then either part it out or "crack" the interlocks in their own shop.

These are not alarms. They're ignition interlocks. 

8 hours ago, BWM said:

Om my smart the key must be out of the ignition to disable the immobilizer with the FOB.

On my '05 smart, the key does not have to be out of the ignition ... It can be in there, but not turned on and the FOB will work.

2 people like this

good quality spare replacement fobs and a $50 delphi snooper is the easiest and cheapest solution

1 person likes this

On 4/4/2019 at 2:51 AM, BWM said:

Think I saw a switch you can plug into the OSB2 plug that does that, I remember a topic that said you could jump two pins there to do the same thing but can't find that post now

the only thing i can remember about jumping 2 obd2 pins on the 450 is to disable the traction control/abs/stability system

1 person likes this